jumping the string

Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
joe harrod1945

jumping the string

#1 Post by joe harrod1945 »

I was watching a scientific experiment on deer jumping the string by compound bow shooters.Guess what deer at 40 yds jump the string about 10" with a compound bow.These speed demons just do not understand.the speed of sound is faster than their bows. :o I knew that 50 years ago.I believe a longbow,recurve,an selfbow is at least 3 times less sound than any compound bow.I do believe a heavy arrow takes alot of vibration out of your bow an it adds more penetration.
Last edited by White Falcon on Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling

Graps

Re: junping the string

#2 Post by Graps »

It also helps to let a deer settle in before the shot.
Too often people see a deer walk into there shooting range and grab and go. And then they are amazed that the deer reacted so fast. :o
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

An alert, nervous, or already suspicious Deer is a challenge with any bow. But I do prefer the more silent thump of my longbow over the car wreck sound of a wheelie bow!

joe harrod1945

#4 Post by joe harrod1945 »

The first deer i killed with a bow was looking straight at me about 10 yds.I drew my bow an shot deer went 30 some yds an layed down never got up.43# browning nomad stalker,wooden arrows with bear razor heads sharp.I was lucky back then if you saw a deer 1 time in a week you was lucky.It was october 13 1968.

White Falcon

Re: jumping the string

#5 Post by White Falcon »

When a deer is spooked and gets ready to run, they drop to load up there legs for the run. This makes them drop. Kind of like a Track runner, to get power and speed.

Grizzly

#6 Post by Grizzly »

Just as amazing are calm, feeding deer who don't even realize an arrow has passed through them.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

Also, seldom mentioned; it takes longer for an arrow to reach the target at 40-50 yards than at normal trad distances of 10-12 yards average, but sound travels the same speed. So while the arrow may be moving 2X faster, the distance can be up to 4X further for the deer to hear and react.
Aim small, miss small!

Grizzly

#8 Post by Grizzly »

They learned to jump strings by watching pigs

images.png
images.png (11.14 KiB) Viewed 550 times
download (2).jpg
download (2).jpg (12.83 KiB) Viewed 550 times
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

LOL...OK, boys..Craig has finally lost it like the rest of us, Welcome to the club!
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#10 Post by Graps »

:? :roll:
OOOkay/ :lol:
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”