Re: Captainkirk's 2019 Hunting Thread

#92 Post by Nock »

Where are you parking and your way in?
Happiness is a tight chain!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#93 Post by Captainkirk »

Nock wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:55 pm Where are you parking and your way in?
https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/Fa ... rthMap.pdf

If you look on the link above, you will see P (parking) at the top of the map. I follow the solid yellow line south, then turn west at the green line. I follow that to the red lined square and turn south on the dotted green until I reach the bottom (yellow dashed line) and follow that to my stand. It's about a mile walk in from the lot.
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#94 Post by Captainkirk »

Something like this: (purple line)

Aim small, miss small!

Grizzly

#95 Post by Grizzly »

I'd watch around the local residence to see if there is any open ground they feed on. If so, I'd set up outside of the 100 yard limit just inside a browsing edge. Less walking also. Deer are used to cars moving around as well as activity at the residence.

Maybe either side of that big "U" shaped section of blue line in the NE corner. I'm not sure of the scale of the map.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#96 Post by Captainkirk »

I think my next strategy should be waiting until after the end of archery season (late January/early Feb.) and get out while there is (hopefully fresh) snow on the ground and doing some real intensive scouting. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee I would draw North Beach next year, or even South Beach, for that matter. No guarantees on a lottery drawing, but it would still be a really good idea to thoroughly explore both north and south hunting areas after the hunters are done when there is still a possibility of snow on the ground. I would like to continue north from my present blind site all the way to the Dead Dog River boundary, as it is not accessible from the front(north) side unless you have hip waders. My guess is that the deer hole up just as far back from the trails, hikers, and dogs as they can get. That would be it, if I was a deer.

This is where I would go: (yellow circles/X's)

Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#97 Post by Captainkirk »

There is also a lot of potential in this area (yellow circle) but you have to cross through or around a very large swamp

Aim small, miss small!

Grizzly

#98 Post by Grizzly »

That's why I never got into hunting ducks and geese. "Swamps" were fun when I was a kid hunting frogs, but not my thing now. Are those the kind that will suck your boots right off your feet?
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#99 Post by Captainkirk »

Grizzly wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:43 am That's why I never got into hunting ducks and geese. "Swamps" were fun when I was a kid hunting frogs, but not my thing now. Are those the kind that will suck your boots right off your feet?
Very likely. I've avoided testing it out for the most part. Due to the weather this season, there is standing water in most of it. That's why it would be such a good idea to scout when it's all frozen.
Aim small, miss small!

Nock

#100 Post by Nock »

I found it on google earth. Can see it little better. I like that area between that swamp in yellow and that rd on other side. Should be a nice funnel. How hard will it be to get on other side?
Happiness is a tight chain!

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”