Wild tame rabbits to eat

Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
jaydee2trad

Wild tame rabbits to eat

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

Years ago I had the bright idea to raise rabbits to sell. Several people that I knew did it and made some decent money at it. I hoped to help support my hunting and fishing desires as well as produce meat for us to eat. Things were going fairly well and we had rabbits reproducing quickly. I had my set up in an old barn that was fairly secure and thought all was well. Then I went to check on them one day and feed them etc. The pens were a mess and blood was everywhere. Rabbits and parts of rabbits were scattered around. My rabbit venture was now offically over. I cleaned up the mess and began hauling off the bloody stuff. But then afterwards for the next week, I would see a few rabbits that had survived and now hiding. Try as I may, I could catch these survivors and there appeared to be maybe 10 or 12 still alive. But after finding the remains of 2 eaten rabbits, I decided to harvest the remaining rabbits. So it was now the bow with arrows tipped with .357 hulls and some with wing nuts and bolts. I would get one and then it was crockpot time with seasoning like swiss steak. Finally it got down to one big loppy eared rabbit that was very evasive. So I made a simple ground blind with some brush and cedar and just spent some time with bow in hand sitting and waiting. This guy had a Bear Razorhead waiting on him and when he finally showed, I drilled him. The unmistakable sound of hitting rock made me wince but I had got him. Yeah, curled the tip back for a third of it. Later used a small ball peen hammer to coax it back into shape and it became my varmit head. Got some good experience with the bow and plenty of fresh meat so all was not lost. made a lot of sandwiches using a swedish meatball seasoning. JD

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Wild tame rabbits to eat

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Ever find out what got the rabbits?
Aim small, miss small!

jaydee2trad

Re: Wild tame rabbits to eat

#3 Post by jaydee2trad »

seemed like it was several animals. we had feral cats, dogs and small bears and it looked like one got it started and others capitalized from it. I thinned out the feral cats, a bear was caught not far from there.

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”