New poll-Who Are You?

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.

Who are you?

Primarily trad hunter. Trad archery is just a tool I use
54%
Primarily trad archer/shooter/collector/enthusiast
34%
No opinion/undecided
No votes
Don't care/not interested
No votes
Other. (please elaborate!)
11%

Total votes: 35

Shadowhntr

Re: New poll-Who Are You?

#21 Post by Shadowhntr »

Jason I shoot exactly 40 lbs. presently. I wish I could shoot 55 but my body wont take it. Not a biggie...40 is plenty for deer.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

stumper

#22 Post by stumper »

I’m only 30 and used to shoot a 65 lb longbow every day. Now the bow I shoot everyday is a recurve 42 at 28, but I only draw 26. Dare I say I’m in the 30 lb club. Nothing wrong with it.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#23 Post by Captainkirk »

Jason (Jaydog), I shoot with a 45# bow normally. During the off season (read; winter) I shoot at indoor ranges with my 35# Tamerlane. When I began my summer routine this year, it took a lot longer to work back up to 45# than in past years...age is gaining on me! Jason (Shadowhntr) is absolutely correct that a properly placed sharp broadhead will kill out of a 40# bow with equal lethality to a compound (albeit shorter distances)...and therein lies the key. Establish a new "working distance max", just as every gun hunter who takes up the compound has to do. Does it require you to be a more methodical, meticulous hunter? Yes, it does. But isn't that what the game is all about?

BTW, Shadow...your "Who Are You" post was outstanding.
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#24 Post by stumper »

Jaydog. You can do it! Nobody wants to wound an animal, unfortunately that can be apart of hunting no matter what you shoot. Practice your craft and stay the course. Tonight was the first night I got to shoot from a tree stand since being an instinctive shooter and it went great. Grab the instrument you love and practice with it. You’ve got this!
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Jaydogk9b

#25 Post by Jaydogk9b »

Thanks for the encouragement guys. It is appreciated.
Never fear a man with many wepons. Fear the man with only 1, for it is an extension of himself.

Shadowhntr

#26 Post by Shadowhntr »

You're very welcome Jason. Get that bow you can shoot comfortably. Then remember trad bows are simply a lethal hunting method. You aim the longbow/recurve in the method of your choice, picking a tiny spot to shoot at, maintain form through the shot, get a nice release staying close to the face even in follow through, continue pointing the arm and looking at the spot after release....and see that arrow open that deer up as it sinks deeply.

The only thing different in hunting trad from the compound is your shots need be close range....and you also get to see the arrow strike (esp if you happen to shoot instinctively). It doesn't take years of practice especially with a good coach involved, to keep your arrows in 6-8 inch groups at 15 yards or under. You dont need pin point accuracy to kill deer cleanly and consistently. Their heart alone is 4"-6" let alone the larger lungs. Accuracy is great and I'm not downplaying it, but a 6"-8" group is lethal every time if form is held and the shot is executed in the ribs. Adrenaline keeps us on our toes and we always will deal with it. But if we allow it, adrenaline generally causes big mistakes with any weapon, not 4" mistakes. Jerk your head and shot with a compound and see what happens...ugh. All archery requires the same, in order to make good hits. You can do it.😉
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

joe harrod1945

#27 Post by joe harrod1945 »

I am a meat hunter not a trophy hunter.now with that said if a good size buck comes by an if the shot is their yes.2 or 3 good shots a year is all i will get.I will not shoot a yearling or its mother.I am not hunting any one deer just the mature doe & bucks the one that comes first.simple joe is my game.I have nothing to prove to anyone an nothing to gain.10 to 15 yds practice is good.I do not want to wound a deer been there an done that.I shoot targets year round to keep in shape an enjoy.I scout year round an enjoy.I live to hunt an hunt to live.

Nock

#28 Post by Nock »

I’m a trapper first. That’s my passion. But shooting/hunting tradition isn’t far behind. I started out shooting compound. The browning bow I have now my dads best friend gave me when I was young. I started out only using it to bowfish. He passed away about 5 years ago. After I decided that I was going to use that bow to take a deer. So I got rid of my compound to give me no choice but to use the recurve. Third day of our season I killed my biggest buck ever. Someone was definitely looking over me that day. Now I’m getting the bug to build one.
Happiness is a tight chain!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#29 Post by Carpdaddy »

Thanks for joining up Nock, I New you would be a good fit here, you won’t be the only trapper here!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#30 Post by Captainkirk »

Both of you will fit in well here!
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Campfire”