What a blessing antlers can be.

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Graps

What a blessing antlers can be.

#1 Post by Graps »

I have been thinking about this for a while.
I really enjoy making things with antlers. They are just awesome to see all the different colors and the hidden patterns that are inside.
But why do I consider them a blessing?
It's like this, As I cut them and work down some of the surfaces, the color changes right before my eyes.
Then as I sand it to a fine grit, even more of the beauty starts to show.
And then with the polishing compound :shock: It sometimes just takes my breath away.
And the most neatest part about it; God has let me be the first person ever that has seen the inner beauty of a particular antler.
As I polish and blend onto the very rough exterior, the lines just seem to be endless.
Maybe this seems foolish to some of you but that's how I see it. :D

Shape and polish an antler someday for yourself. ;)
And enjoy........
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Shadowhntr

Re: What a blessing antlers can be.

#2 Post by Shadowhntr »

I think it's really neat you feel that way....the ingredients of a true passion. I may take your advice up one of these days, but for now I'm gonna watch what you come up with and enjoy that aspect.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

Foolish? Not hardly. You are blessed with the ability to transform natural beauty into art.
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#4 Post by Graps »

It's not me, God made them and I just dig them out.
It is fascinating material to work with.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Shadowhntr

#5 Post by Shadowhntr »

I know serveral really good craftsmen who feel the same way. They feel like they just uncover and emphasize the beauty that God has already done many years ago. Nothing wrong with that and in fact it couldn't be any more true. A big thanks to the craftsmen, for showing us the creation we might well have missed otherwise.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Return to “Campfire”