Photos from the 2018 UBM Festival

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
dhaverstick

Photos from the 2018 UBM Festival

#1 Post by dhaverstick »

I wanted to share a few pictures from last weekend's United Bowhunters of Missouri Festival. The weather really sucked but we had a good turnout anyway. It was great to see many old friends and make some new ones!

Our favorite award to give out each year is the MDC Agent of the Year Award. We agonize over choosing between several deserving candidates and this year the award went to Agent Willie Carr of Jasper County. Congratulations, Agent Carr!

This year's winner of the Black Widow Bow raffle is lifetime UBM member and past UBM Board member, Ron Mackenberg. Here is Ron, sporting a nice Stetson, with UBM Board member, Joel Davis.

The annual photography contest we have always has a lot of participation and here are a couple of those winners. Past UBM president, Brian Peterson, won the Outdoor Theory category. Member, Cody Hasson, took the top prize in two categories, Wildlife and Bowhunting Related.

Each year we give out the Fred Bear Award to the person who has taken a game animal that we feel best exemplifies a trophy for that species. This year's winner was UBM Board member, Bob Burns. Bob killed a nice 10-point whitetail that easily made the P&Y record book.

Our banquet speaker this year was Neil Byce III, Director of Operations for Bear Archery. Mr. Byce has worked for Bear Archery for over 40 years and he took us on a fascinating trip over the history of the company as seen through his eyes. Neil is also passionate about fly fishing and here he is with some gifts the UBM bestowed upon him as a gesture of our appreciation.

An award we don't give out every year is the Youth Bowhunter of the Year. However, this past season, we had a young man who not only proved his mettle in the field, but also contributed to the club whenever he got a chance. This lad is 14 year old, Cole Davis, who killed a nice 7-pointer on his very first bowhunt. Then he wrote up a great article about the hunt for the club newsletter which is something that I can't get most adults to do! To sweeten Cole's accomplishment, the folks at Black Widow gave him a nice bow and some archery equipment to go along with the plaque. Congratulations, Cole!

As if they don't do enough for us, Black Widow also gives away a bow and arrows to some lucky youth attending the banquet. This year's winner was Joshua Haden. His father told me that this was the first Festival that they had ever attended. I bet they'll be repeat customers now!

And lastly, here I am accepting the Bowhunter of the Year award. I guess the field of choices must have been pretty slim this time around! In any event, I was honored and humbled to receive the prize and I am proud to be part of such a great organization.

Darren

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Photos from the 2018 UBM Festival

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Thanks for sharing and congrats on the award. I'm sure you deserved it! Wish I could have been there, but that's quite a trek. Looks like you were smart to hold it indoors...
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#3 Post by Graps »

Congratulations, and thats just awesome.
Thanks for sharing.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Longtrad

#4 Post by Longtrad »

Congrats! That seems like a really cool organization. Thanks for sharing.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#5 Post by Carpdaddy »

Congratulations Darren! Sure looks like a good event and fun time.

Shadowhntr

#6 Post by Shadowhntr »

Congratulations Darren! You deserved every bit of that award and more. I'm thrilled!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

stumper

#7 Post by stumper »

Congrats sir!!
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Return to “Campfire”