Whats goin on ?

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Tradman

Whats goin on ?

#1 Post by Tradman »

I cannot post pictures of a bow I just got done making,says to large.Same process I have always used nothing different..I now have to log in every time.... :cry: :roll: :cry:
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHAT'S RIGHT AND IT'S NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHAT'S WRONG....LOU HOLTZ

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Whats goin on ?

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

:shock: Gremlins lurking in the shadows!
Testing mine here...
Attachments
F62ECCF6-D6B1-4946-A7B6-38DC1EF74B86.jpeg
F62ECCF6-D6B1-4946-A7B6-38DC1EF74B86.jpeg (118.43 KiB) Viewed 283 times

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

No issue here, maybe Tom blocked you out! :lol: :oops:

Shadowhntr

#4 Post by Shadowhntr »

Odd.....
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

White Falcon

#5 Post by White Falcon »

Resize picture.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#6 Post by Carpdaddy »

We do want to see that new bow Larry.

Graps

#7 Post by Graps »

I'll mention, this site is very slow. To post can take a long time before it is done.
It's the same with my phone and with a computer.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Elkman
Site Admin

#8 Post by Elkman »

Hey guys,

The settings for max picture upload file size is 350 KB. That is way way more than enough for a picture 854x854. Any image over that will need to be compressed to be more web friendly. In many cases you can still have a very good looking picture down to 100 to 150 KB. Those of you that are paying for data usage will appreciate that. Think of it this way. Emagine paying 1 cent per picture that you download in one day here on Tradhunter. Then add in all the other places on the net that you may frequent. That adds up. Pictures are way smaller than videos. So to download and watch a video on your mobile device it doesn't take long to eat up a 2 gig data plan.

Now, what about those who still have a slow Internet connection? There are still, believe it or not, those who are on dial up speeds. If you have a post with 5 Mb of pictures in it, it will take someone on dial up maybe as long as 7 to 10 minutes just to view that one post with pictures. Videos? Hours!

Page load speeds are directly related to the size of the pictures posted, the software running the page, things that the server needs to do before loading the page. As some of you know spamming has been a real problem Internet wide. Especially on forums. I have made a very very large list of IP addresses that are to be blocked. Each ip address that hits the server is compared to this list. That slows things down some. There are even more things that slow things down.

Wow, I didn't want to write a book. I hope this helps answer some of your questions or explains some of the issues.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Graps

#9 Post by Graps »

I've always had to resizs to 640x640
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Elkman
Site Admin

#10 Post by Elkman »

Yes, that was the setting we had before the update.
It is now 7 years since we first setup this forum, so I moved it up to 854x854 pixels to go along with the newer 6x9 aspect ratio that has became more standard.

One more thing.

The server has some software on it that the host company provides. It's called Imagemagick I believe. I have set it up to take your images and thumbnail them to a size at or below 854p. So if your image is below the 350 KB file size, but something like 1280x720 pixels, Imagemagick will shrink and compress it for you (In theory). The posts I have been making with pictures seem to have been changed like that. I'm still not 100% convinced that it is working properly.

You guys can play with it and see how it works for you.

I need to apologize to all members for not posting this information earlier! :oops:
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Return to “Campfire”