New Trad Archer

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Graps

New Trad Archer

#1 Post by Graps »

So I have been looking for someone near me to go bear hunting with me so I don't have to drive the 16 hours buy myself.
This young Engineer that I work with wants to go and he already sent his payment to the Outfitter.
He is so excited to be going and he just today was telling me that he has a friend that will loan him a recurve and he wants to learn how to shoot traditional. :shock:
He has 9 weeks to learn and his first hunt is BLACK BEAR? :?
OK; hope I have him to help me drive back home. :roll:
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Lowcountry

Re: New Trad Archer

#2 Post by Lowcountry »

Well, if he is that fired up, then hopefully he is that committed to putting in the work to get good enough with a recurve. It's doable, but he probably could use some quality help getting correctly set up and started.

stumper

#3 Post by stumper »

Hmm maybe he should fork a hundred bucks and get one of those black hunter recurves so he has something to get used to.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

Give him a little tutoring; he's got enough time yet.
Aim small, miss small!

Grizzly

#5 Post by Grizzly »

Hope that he is one of those with very good hand eye coordination and a fast learner. He probably already knows he can always fall back on his compound if he's not ready. Is it legal to carry a sidearm or to keep a long gun in the blind with you? He will be using his own blind, won't he? :|
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Graps

#6 Post by Graps »

No hand guns allowed in Canada.
He shoots a .300 Win Mag and a X bow when he hunts big game.
He got a very nice elk last year but that was with the rifle.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

You could likely start him out gapping or using a sight pin.
Aim small, miss small!

Grizzly

#8 Post by Grizzly »

I've seen a few beginners blow your mind with a recurve. It's possible, especially if he is determined enough.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

Grizzly wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:15 pm I've seen a few beginners blow your mind with a recurve. It's possible, especially if he is determined enough.
If I had already paid for a bear hunt, I would be REAL determined.
Aim small, miss small!

Grizzly

#10 Post by Grizzly »

Yes, but can you rub your belly in a circular motion and tap your head while jumping up and down on one foot?

Return to “Campfire”