Hunting setup 2019

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
dougedwards

Re: Hunting setup 2019

#11 Post by dougedwards »

stumper wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:33 am A great reminder grizzly, that there is more to life than hunting. I'll let you in on a secret. I have bow hunted exclusively for five years now..... And I have yet to kill a deer with a bow. The reality is I see very few of them and sometimes it frustrates me but it's not the reason I go. I go for the woods. In life some people miss the forest for the trees, but I just want to sway among them.

Fred Bear put it like this.

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."
-- Fred Bear

"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person."
-- Fred Bear

I go to the woods because it's the thing the heavenly father has given me that undos all the horror I see on a daily basis. Sorry for the rant.
I am happy to be reminded of all of that you express here. I doubt that I would ever bother getting up at 4:00am and drive an hour to site to walk in the dark for another 20 minutes to climb into a stand if there was not a potential of a deer to shoot. But in reality, the joy of the total experience within God's creation far exceeds the dramatics of the kill. It is this that keeps me coming back.

Doug
"Therefore, having put away falsehood, let each one of you speak the truth with his neighbor, for we are members one of another."
Ephesians 4:25

Grizzly

#12 Post by Grizzly »

Don't be sorry Stumper. I'm only reflecting my age - 71. I don't know if there are any more hunting seasons in me.

My Dad retired from the NYPD. He joined after WW2 and retired after the Brooklyn riots in the late 60's when men were pulled from all over to try to control them.

He too loved the outdoors and passed it on to me, more so than any of my other 3 younger brothers. He always got excited at the first whiff of fall and fall is probably my favorite time of the year, with Spring a close 2nd.

I too lived to hunt and fish and shoot, and grew up during a time when the deer herds were very small after the depression decimated them for food. It was a long time recovering and the herds that did grow up in the NE had been largely transplanted by Conservation Depts from other parts of the country. For many years, I was lucky to even see a deer. But, the thrill and excitement of hunting with Dad, and later by myself was a joy and was strong in me. Then when I moved here to Central Illinois and hunted with a recurve in the mid to late 70's, the deer were thinly populated here also. So, I added squirrels to the pot and loved that for a while. When I finally started hunting again in the early 90's, the herds had recovered, and here in Pike County, they thrived between the Illinois and Mississippi Rivers. I've shot many a nice buck here, but I have to wonder, which I enjoyed the most. Sadly, by the time I started hunting again, Dad back East was loosing his eye sight to macular degeneration and couldn't join me in a hunt of a lifetime for him.

I can only imagine what you go through daily, and I'm glad for you that you have a release and something you love so to help you maintain your balance and sanity.

I'll pm you a story of a deer hunt that is religious in nature. I've told it on our Christian Faith and Fellowship Forum, so out of respect, I won't tell it here.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

stumper

#13 Post by stumper »

Sounds good sir. I look forward to it.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Graps

#14 Post by Graps »

This is my bear hunting rig.
52" Javaman Helms Deep. 45#@28"
GFA quiver and a string tracker from Drifter.
20190421_162950~01.jpg
20190421_162950~01.jpg (193.7 KiB) Viewed 95 times
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

stumper

#15 Post by stumper »

There's a setup. I would. Love a short recurve in my collection.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#16 Post by Captainkirk »

Well put, Dave. Any more, I have as much enjoyment stumping with my son and granddaughter as I would taking a nice deer.
It's the journey that counts, not the destination.
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#17 Post by stumper »

Hmmm thinking of doing some spring tryouts with some of my other bows, now that I have a bunch. Got this dark horse out and I may have to make a change lol. Groups at 10, 15, and 20 yards. Not too shabby for this short bow.
Attachments
IMG_25042019_101249_(600_x_600_pixel).jpg
IMG_25042019_101249_(600_x_600_pixel).jpg (94.75 KiB) Viewed 77 times
IMG_25042019_101256_(600_x_600_pixel).jpg
IMG_25042019_101256_(600_x_600_pixel).jpg (106.41 KiB) Viewed 77 times
IMG_25042019_101303_(600_x_600_pixel).jpg
IMG_25042019_101303_(600_x_600_pixel).jpg (114.6 KiB) Viewed 77 times

White Falcon

#18 Post by White Falcon »

Good shooting!

Grizzly

#19 Post by Grizzly »

Now don't change a thing until hunting season :P

Good consistent shooting.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Graps

#20 Post by Graps »

Looking good.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Return to “Campfire”