Thinking of having my own broadheads made

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Ron Kulas

Re: Thinking of having my own broadheads made

#11 Post by Ron Kulas »

This is PLA plastic. Im having the heads quoted from high carbon steel. Ive already developed a sharpener for this head that will work for other 4 blade heads. I wont say more about that product because Im not a paying sponsor here but the sharpener is separate of the broadhead project.
The Joy is in the doing.

Grizzly

#12 Post by Grizzly »

Thank you for sharing. What an interesting project.

I always did like spending an evening at Compton looking at all the heads that have been made down through the many years. There are some amazing collections out there with all sorts of designs.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Ron Kulas

#13 Post by Ron Kulas »

As part of the iterative process of design/prototype, evaluate/improve, Ive made some changes to the pending single piece of metal, monolithic broadhead design project for my own personal broadhead. Added length, more slender tip, more metal in the vents, etc. But the weight stays the same (175 with vents and 200 without).

The Joy is in the doing.

Grizzly

#14 Post by Grizzly »

I like that tip much better.

What performance and weight changes would happen if the edge angle and the tip angle remained the same? Would that significantly weaken your tip design for the heavier animals?
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Ron Kulas

#15 Post by Ron Kulas »

The leading tip angle and the angle of attack of the 4 blades differs for 2 reasons, the primary being strength to avoid deformation/curing on hard impacts and secondarily, so the grind of the tip does not interfere with the blades. Ive already designed a sharpening system for the blades and will do so for the tip as well and dont want to risk hitting the cutting edge of the blades while working the tip.
The Joy is in the doing.

Return to “Campfire”