I',m going on a bear hunt.

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Greg Felty

Re: I',m going on a bear hunt.

#11 Post by Greg Felty »

Waiting for some cool bear stories.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Graps

#12 Post by Graps »

Wasn't good this year.
We lost 4 bears because of torrential rains.
Shots were taken and the the rain would start obliterating blood and tracks.
I use a string tracker but the bear I shot had its opposite front leg way back and the near leg was reaching forward.
Perfect shot presentation. The arrow hit the opposite leg shoulder, stopping the arrow, the bear did a barrel roll away from me breaking the broadhead off the shaft and the arrow pulled out within a few yards with the string still attached.
My friend shot a double lung pass through his very first shot at anything. And just a few short minutes the sky opened up.
But, he wants to go again next year and bring his dad
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Grizzly

#13 Post by Grizzly »

That's a heartbreaker of a hunt, when you can't retrieve the animal. At times like that, you wish tracking dogs were allowed and more common. I wonder though if even a dog can track after that hard of a rain. But you did get to shoot and you did get to share and spend good times together with friends. For most of us, the hunt is what we enjoy most. Doing it with others just adds to the richness and enjoyment of a week out in the woods, on the ground, with a bow and the bears. Glad you made it home safely, Graps.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Graps

#14 Post by Graps »

Yeah, the hunt is the best part but it hurts to not get a recovery.
I have a gluten allergy so I can't have anything with flower to eat.
So Tom would make pancakes or something and I was stuck eating venison steaks and eggs.
Sometimes it was elk back straps.
Doesn't that sound abusive. :roll:
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

stumper

#15 Post by stumper »

Totally abusive. Surprised you put up with all that. Sorry to hear about your hunt Graps, sounds like a heartbreak.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Elkman
Site Admin

#16 Post by Elkman »

Sorry to here you ran into weather issues Dale.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#17 Post by Carpdaddy »

Wish it had gone better on the weather and recovery Dale, but you were able to get out, and to make some lifetime memories!

White Falcon

#18 Post by White Falcon »

Sorry for the bummer hunt!

Graps

#19 Post by Graps »

Not really a bummer hunt, those kind of things happen.
I did get to use my new camera and I got a very neat video of my shot.
When the bear came in, it walked past the far side of the bait barrel and doubled back.
It walked past at about 8 yards and came over to my tent blind. It sniffed a few times and then like a cat, it leaned on the tent and slid along it finishing with a paw slap on the material.
It then walked toward the bait, stopped about 8 yards again.
I slowly turned the camera on as it started for the bait again.
It nervously put it's nose in the barrel and backed up, looked around and then stuck it's head all the way in.
Perfect presentation so I took the shot.
The arrow hit the backside leg stopping the arrow and the bear snapped at the arrow while rolling completely over and as it ran off, the arrow shaft pulled out without the broadhead and the string tracking string was still attached to the arrow.

Nock

Re: I'm going on a bear hunt.

#20 Post by Nock »

Sorry to hear about the weather. But sounds like you suffered eating though. Haha
Happiness is a tight chain!

Return to “Campfire”