Picture of the Day

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Greg Felty

Re: Picture of the Day

#421 Post by Greg Felty »

20191106_070212 - Edited.jpg
20191106_070212 - Edited.jpg (43.24 KiB) Viewed 249 times
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Grizzly

#422 Post by Grizzly »

Beautiful sunset
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#423 Post by Captainkirk »

Yes, indeed. God's canvas...
Aim small, miss small!

elkslayer4x5

#424 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

A trail cam pic from a couple of years ago. There is no closed season on Cougars in Oregon right now, and tags are cheap. :shock:
Cougar Tucker creek.jpg
Cougar Tucker creek.jpg (88.95 KiB) Viewed 234 times

Greg Felty

#425 Post by Greg Felty »

That would keep me from going to my stand. Great picture.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Grizzly

#426 Post by Grizzly »

Years ago on the farm I hunted in Pike County Illinois, above the Mississippi, as I was getting in my stand, I saw a flash disappear in the corn and would have swore it was the tail end of a bob cat. It was years until I finally had another sighting that was unmistakable. As I was sighting in my in line one walked past where my target was slow enough for a perfect id. I even had time to put the binocs on it.

Then another time as I was on high ground overlooking a few fields, again the back end of a cat disappeared. Only this time I could have sworn I saw that long, heavy hooked tail of one of those big cats. They are not supposed to be around here but every now and then someone reports a sighting or comes up with a body or some tracks. If they were here in any numbers, I'm sure we'd being seeing what is in your photo, until the young go off on their own. So far, I've not heard of any reports like that.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

elkslayer4x5

#427 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

Not sure if Grizzly was talking to me, If so..
Since 1995 when the hug a tree folk got a law passed that prohibits the use of dog in Cougar or bear hunting, the blackberry producing capitol of the lower 48, the state is overwhelmed with them critters! :o
Oregon is crisscrossed with seemingly millions of miles of logging road, most gated. Up until a few years ago, the largest lumber companies would allow free access beyond the locked gate IF you walked or rode a bike. They now sell you a trespass permit. But back to my story.
I'm an old guy, 75 next birthday, but I still ride my mountain bike. So a few modifications later, I'm ready for those roads. The pic of the Cougars was a bike ride out one of those roads. The trouble with riding a mountain bike is what you may run into.
Because it ties in with my tale, I'm gonna post two pics today, the first is my bike and how it set up, key words here being blackberrys and what you can run into. :shock: Oregon believes in personal portection. ;)
Bike.JPG
Bike.JPG (199.7 KiB) Viewed 226 times

elkslayer4x5

#428 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

The site of the Cougar pic is a little under 6 miles away from what I'll call Cam 2. Had the camera strapped to an old apple tree, surrounded on 3 side with blackberries, we set the camera facing north (never east or west, unless you're looking for sunrise/set pics) towards the trail coming out of thick timber 1/4 mile away, and spead some alfalfa around to give the critter something to pull them into view. Got a couple of doe pics, a coyote, and bears, and as the berries ripened, more bears.
By June there were tunnels in the blackberrys. We were checking the cameras every two weeks. Got bunches of bear, all sizes, then one day My avatar waddled his fat butt into camera range ( bottom pic), after that appearance no more little bears just him.
The pic I use as my avatar was taken 15 minutes after we left the apple tree! We rode bikes on this trail cam loop, and after leaving the apple tree, we crossed a large puddle in the timber. The week we replaced batteries and SD card to find big blackie , there was a bear front paw print next to my bike track, so he watched us change batteries and card, sniffed around a bit then followed us.
I decided to measure him to see how big he really was. The paw print was winder than my hand and I wear XL gloves. Got some funky apples, tossed them out at the tree, pounded a stick into the ground and ties two white plastic ribbons on it at 36" and 42". In the composite pic below, the bear is in a rut, when he steps out of it he will be over 42" :o
He was way too smart for me, I never got a shot at him! :(
BigBoy.JPG
BigBoy.JPG (82.69 KiB) Viewed 223 times

elkslayer4x5

#429 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

And on a light side.. When I got my first trail cam, I set it up to see what was happening out at the compost heap, never seemed to be any banana peels there. "I know I threw out a couple last night?"
Poncho.jpg
Poncho.jpg (172.94 KiB) Viewed 219 times

Grizzly

#430 Post by Grizzly »

Mmm, where'd these come from, nice and sweet.

I'm 73 and ride a Bianchi mountain bike and one of those Giant bikes with the frame altered so that the crank is forward of the seat post. Works different muscles and is easier on the knees. We can conceal carry here, not open unless on your own property in the woods or with permission. When I look at your bike and thought of the cats, my first thought was that I'd want a very short shotgun in the bike scabbard and another handgun on my person in case I was knocked off the bike or fell off. Then the problems: falling on a holstered gun would really hurt, so where to keep it. Is that a mount on the handlebars for a long gun? I'd think you'd about need a folding stock or just one with only a hand grip which I'd imagine would be a handful. I had a M2 Carbine set up that way in VN, cut off at the forearm and the pistol grip. Next to useless except maybe for very up close. Later acquired a folding stock M2 Carbine.

I didn't notice it at first, but when I did I cringed. That exposed trigger and trigger guard on a mountain bike that could fall over and snag on a branch or even hit a low hanging branch could be easily remedied with one that covers the trigger guard. I too tend to use whatever I have laying around or can find inexpensively, but even being double action, a fall into branches could be risky. Other than that, I love your set up and the area you ride. Years ago when I bought a medium sized Honda 350 CL, I loved riding back roads or logging roads after work until the sun went down in upstate NY and as a kid just about lived on my bicycle - many times carrying a fishing pole early in the morning, headed for the lake. But - we didn't have any big cats around. Those things are spooky. It's a shame so many city folks move into the country and then change everything rather than enjoying what is there and how the folks have been living just fine for generations.

Return to “Campfire”