Stumper's 2019/2020 Outdoor Adventures

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Elkman
Site Admin

Re: Stumper's 2019/2020 Outdoor Adventures

#61 Post by Elkman »

My father-in-law and his best friend called it lighter stump and they told me that they made turpentine from it.

I have a tree near one of my hunting spots where I chipped away a little bark along with a little of the wood just under it. I do this near the bottom of the pine tree. After a season or 2 you come back and the pine sap has saturated the wood all around that spot. From that point on you have an a supply of lighter stump in your hunting area. It has been 30 years and the tree is still alive and over that time I have gotten maybe about 3 zip lock sandwich bags worth of fire starter. I just get a few every now and then so I have some fresh on hand. The tree is a big big Ponderosa Pine about 2 1/2 feet across or better now.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Nock

#62 Post by Nock »

Interesting. Pines are pretty rare around here though.
Happiness is a tight chain!

stumper

#63 Post by stumper »

Nock wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:06 am Interesting. Pines are pretty rare around here though.
Any conifer will work.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Nock

#64 Post by Nock »

Cedars I have no shortage of.
Happiness is a tight chain!

stumper

#65 Post by stumper »

Cat Island is a local national wildlife refuge and has just reopened after 3 years of closure on 10/19/2019. I have purchased my yearly license to use the land for the low price of 20 bucks a year. This area borders a popular WMA that has been over pressured for years. I will be hunting there on monday and am very excited about what opportunities await. First off the lunar solar calendar app shows monday having a rating of 95, which is only the second 95 day of the year and predicts that the deer will be moving during the daylight hours. Also cat island has forbidden ATV usage for the time being because of the reopening and will be Archery only for every day save November 8th and 9th, which will be youth primitive firearms. I am super excited about this hunt and think it will perhaps be my best chance for a harvest thus far this year. Pictures to come.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Elkman
Site Admin

#66 Post by Elkman »

That sounds very good Dave.
I look forward to hearing about it.

Good luck!
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#67 Post by Captainkirk »

Best of luck to you, Dave!
Aim small, miss small!

Greg Felty

#68 Post by Greg Felty »

Good luck and happy hunting.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Hill billy

#69 Post by Hill billy »

This sounds good. Good luck Dave

Grizzly

#70 Post by Grizzly »

Good luck Dave. Whether it's a fishing pond or a piece of land, when you find one that hasn't seen much if any use for years by sportsmen, your odds go way up.

I'd forgotten about that sticky resin in pines. Where I once hunted in Northern NJ and the Catskill Mountains in NY had many. I think the felling axes in those areas had design changes to account for that type of softer wood.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Return to “Campfire”