Trail Cam question

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Trail Cam question

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

Regarding trail cams; I've never owned one nor used one, and know little or nothing about them, for starters. I am generally old school/anti-tech, which is why I prefer to hunt with a 50 year old recurve and handmade cedar arrows to begin with. However, I can sure see the advantages of knowing 'if and when' deer are moving about my choice of stand or blind, so am considering it. The local Bass Pro has a complete aisle full of trail cams and accessories, a dizzying array of choices ranging from $50.00 to well in excess of $300.00. Where to begin?
First off, I'm presently only hunting public land and realize the possibility of somebody walking off with a trail cam. It happens. And if so, I'd rather lose $50.00 than 300, but like anything else you buy, I think one should get the best he can afford. Also, if I can get frustrated trying to adjust settings on my cell phone, I fully realize the stupidity in buying something that's way too complicated for my use.
So, suggestions, links, ideas, anyone? Thanks in advance!
Aim small, miss small!

Greg Felty

Re: Trail Cam question

#2 Post by Greg Felty »

I like my Browning Dark Ops the best. Easy to use and i am going to black flash with all my new cameras the deer don't seem to notice them. They cost about $150. I would hate to lose that much if stolen.
Attachments
IMG_0043 - Edited.jpg
IMG_0043 - Edited.jpg (112.9 KiB) Viewed 182 times
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

Thanks, Greg!
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#4 Post by Graps »

Kirk, several of the trail cams now days have explicit instructions.
Goes something like this; using button A press and hold.....bla bla bla..
Or you can just use the quick start. Just insert the SD card, turn the switch selector to on and your done.
The latter is what I do. I know I can adjust the number of shots taken in a time period and I can even do time laps.
:shock: :? :o Ah, OK... :roll:
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Nock

#5 Post by Nock »

All I have used are easy to set up. Using coverts currently. Had good luck with moultrie prior. Most people are going to cellular cams now. Not me.
Happiness is a tight chain!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

Nock wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:15 pm Most people are going to cellular cams now. Not me.
Why not?
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#7 Post by Graps »

Because you have to have good cell service where your camera is at and a cell provider service. :?
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Grizzly

#8 Post by Grizzly »

I've no experience with them either. For me, it was always string. If I wanted to know if a certain trail was used at night or during the day, I'd tie some string across it on the way out and check it in the morning. I always enjoyed the surprise of seeing deer and thought it was over the top to keep tabs on who was using the area. Then again, I wasn't catering to the pay crowd that wanted to know such things. Eventually, the 1200 acre family farm I hunted did give in to letting a limited amount of pay hunters on it. That's when the trail cameras started showing up. Advertising of sorts, I guess. Then too, I was blessed with such an expansive area with both crops and wooded hills to hunt.
{56c5bde6-2c32-463f-b929-37646178358e}.JPG
{56c5bde6-2c32-463f-b929-37646178358e}.JPG (141.59 KiB) Viewed 165 times
Just one of the beautiful parts of the farm I was graciously allowed to hunt. I remember asking the grown sons on the farm, which areas might be the best to hunt. They'd just look at me and say, "just about anywhere". The deer herd had gotten that numerous. Of coarse, the deer weren't just about anywhere; especially if "you" happened to be there.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

That's funny, Craig...you are correct that they sure know where YOU are! And that's where they are NOT.
Aim small, miss small!

Nock

#10 Post by Nock »

Captainkirk wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:29 pm
Nock wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:15 pm Most people are going to cellular cams now. Not me.
Why not?
They are expensive. I’d hate to loose one. But yes you do need good cell signal. But the pros to them are good. Your not leaving scent going in and out checking. It will tell you if you need battery’s. And if you need corn if on a bait pile. Eventually they will come down in price I may try some.
Happiness is a tight chain!

Return to “Campfire”