Safety harness

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Hill billy

Safety harness

#1 Post by Hill billy »

I had my first mishap while sitting on a hang on tree stand last week.
Fortunately my harness worked flawlessly and i was able to let my bow down to the ground and reach my steps to decend without any hickups. The harness I thought was over priced when i purchased it is now priceless. Dont sit in a stand without one
And i dont mean a belt tied around your wast. That could be disastrous. I also recomend tying off your tree strap over your head so your fall is minimised should you have a accident. This is your friendly reminder. I would likely be dead or in a hostpital tonight without a harness and the grace of god.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Safety harness

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

One of the reasons I've been self-grounded for a number of years now, Michael. About 8 years ago I had a serious fall from a ladder (yes, ladder!) stand. I wasn't wearing a harness (mistake #1) because I was taking the stand down. I climbed up and released the bottom ratchet strap (mistake #2, should have done the top one first) and then went up to the top to release the upper strap (mistake #3). The frozen ground had thawed and with all my weight at the top of the stand, the ladder legs sunk into the soft mud and it started the slow lean away from the trunk. I had to make the choice of riding the stand down and having it land on me, or jump. I jumped. Landed on my left ankle from about 15 feet up and by the grace of God didn't break it, but as I was alone (mistake #4) I had to crawl back to my truck on hands and knees...I was quite certain it was broken...and drive myself to ER. X-rays confirmed no broken bones, but it was 3 weeks before I could bear weight without crutches, and another 6 weeks before the limp was gone. I had throbbing and aching in that foot and ankle for 2 years afterward.
You and I are among the lucky ones. If I ever stand hunt again, it will only be with a full harness. Thanks for the timely reminder.
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#3 Post by Graps »

That's why I keep my feet on the ground.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

Graps wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:36 pm That's why I keep my feet on the ground.
Read about one feller that landed on his own broadhead. Severed an artery in his leg. He bled out while trying to crawl back to his vehicle and died right there.
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#5 Post by Graps »

Graps wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:36 pm That's why I keep my feet on the ground.
Me too ^^^^
Oh wait; I did said that.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Nock

#6 Post by Nock »

Glad your ok. I wear one. I hung a couple yesterday by myself. That was dumb on my part.
Happiness is a tight chain!

Hill billy

#7 Post by Hill billy »

Nock wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:44 am Glad your ok. I wear one. I hung a couple yesterday by myself. That was dumb on my part.
Nock i still hang them alone also but my harness has a lineman strap with steal D ring clips. Very handy and as long as i dont get in a hurry i feel secure.

EWill

#8 Post by EWill »

I made a promise to my wife to always wear safety harness in my stand. I hate wearing them but I love my wife so harness is the first thing I do.

Hill billy

#9 Post by Hill billy »

EWill wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:29 am I made a promise to my wife to always wear safety harness in my stand. I hate wearing them but I love my wife so harness is the first thing I do.
Good wife! I wear mine under my outer layer. I dont mind it now that im used to wearing it. I do have one with easy buckles and snaps. I wouldnt want to try the ones that come with a commercial stand at purchase. If its not comfortable and easy to wear a person could be reluctant to wear it.

Longbowfanatic

#10 Post by Longbowfanatic »

Glad you survived. I, too, use a full body harness. I couple that with a tree stand safety lines, so I am connected from the time I leave the ground. I think it's important to also remind everyone that when you have a fall event, It's probably a good idea to replace the harness.

Return to “Campfire”