Trying to get a fire lite, under the members!

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
elkslayer4x5

Trying to get a fire lite, under the members!

#1 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

HEY YOU, YES, YOU, reading this. Who are you? What do you shoot? Have no worries, I won't bite, or even mention your misspelling and lack of punctuation. :) Go on, it's the last week of January and the only season open I know of is here in Oregon. Come on up, or out or where ever you are from me. Tags are around $10 each for as many as you want. No limit, year long season. HELP! D*%n things are everywhere! :shock: :!:
I've been a member here for 10 days and other than the word came, I'm almost the only one posting. So I've just gotta ask, What the h--l are you doing, Hibernating? :D
The most active tread on this site id the Word Game now on it's 193rd page with 1926 posts, didn't check but I'd bet most posts were made by moderators. And this on a site caller Tradhunter?
In almost all of my posts are some statements that should bring up a question or 3, ASK 'EM :!: What did you learn last year? What do want to know before next season? Where are you hunting next year? Are you happy with your setup? What needs changing? How many folks here use any head other than traditional two blade broadheads? Are they double bevel or single bevel? Know the difference? ;) Small game heads, What's your favorite?
There should be at least one question here you have an answer for, give it a try! POST! :mrgreen:
A related question for the mods; How many active members are there currently?

Grizzly

Re: Trying to get a fire lite, under the members!

#2 Post by Grizzly »

There was a time when I was just as enthusiastic about archery and hunting as you. I grew up with guns and a longbow and recurves and loved hunting and shooting with my Father and friends and family. I was also brought up in a family that made sure I was brought up in the Church and learned and received a foundation there also. The problem was that as time went by, the hunting, fishing, camping and shooting life became my life and the God who created all this for us to enjoy, took a back seat. He, I'm sure was not happy with that and being a jealous God and loving all of us, He brought me to conviction about how I was living my life. He brought me to repentance, He brought me into contact with my future Pastor and He made sure that I came to know His still small voice so that when He spoke, I was able enough to hear and respond.

Then one day, as I like to say, He called me out of the woods and to His Church, where I began to sit and listen and learn. He became the most important aspect of my new life as my new life began to take shape with new priorities, new desires and a renewed sense of self control. I also became much more familiar with His Spirit and experienced things I never dreamed, though had hoped from an early age would happen in this life. He still allowed me to hunt and enjoy my time outdoors, but now it was done with Him, not ignoring Him. In fact, early on in this new life I remember driving around the farm, wondering which stand I would set up in that morning. As I was driving, I was praying and remember saying that I would rather hear from you, oh Lord, than even shoot a deer today. So as I passed one stand, I became very aware, even to the point of knowing that this would be a very good place to set up. But I reasoned, no, it's too muddy here for me to get a deer out with the Astro van I was driving, and went on. I finally set up on the edge of a field, and as I settled in, the same kind of knowing came to me that across the field, by that gate opening, would be an even better place to be. Well, again I reasoned that it was a long walk over to there and that I was quite comfortable where I was. So I sat and watched the day begin as we all love to do. The birds begin moving all around you, the sun begins to bring more light before popping over the hill and the woods starts to come alive right before our eyes. We wait and watch in hopes that just maybe we are in the right spot so that we might see a deer and replenish our freezer with meat for the rest of the year.

Then it happens, the first deer of the morning appears; a doe feeding slowly along the woods edge before venturing out into the field to feed on the stubble left over from the harvest. Then I realize - shes walking right in front of the first stand where I decided not to hunt this morning. Wow. I watch as she and then a few more move out into the field to feed out of range of where I'm sitting, content knowing that there are many more deer and hoping that maybe another will pass by where I'm sitting. Then, a while later I see another doe appear. And where do you think she is? Yes, right by that gate opening where I was directed to go as the Lord had revealed to me just a short time ago. My heart began to soar as I was filled with a joy and a gladness that just as I had asked, the Lord had spoken to me and revealed His love and good pleasure with me. Why? Because now, He was first in my life and I was finally sharing my life with HIm. Walking with Him. Enjoying His creation and including Him in all that I was doing - or at least more than I had ever done before in all my years of living before.

In the years since that morning, I have come to learn that this same thing happens to my Pastor as he gets away from the world and work and relaxes with a fishing pole in his hunt for catfish. He too is amazed at how the Lord is there to guide him to the fish, for when he is fishing, he is still serving the Lord and has spent many a fishing trip on the docks sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ with others and never even wetting a hook. But when he does, and when he observes many other boats just drowning their bait and catching nothing, The Lord is with Him and helps to put many fish in the boat.

So yes, elkslayer4x5, I sometimes am very active on this forum sharing stories, commenting on others adventures or new purchases, kills, or projects and playing the word game but my heart is really in the Christian Faith and Fellowship sub forum that requires you to ask for the password, and is slower and even less active than the main forums that attract most hunters, archers and outdoorsmen. I've come to believe that if we have a healthy relationship with our God and Lord, that the rest of our living will be enriched and blessed in ways so many have never come to know and live "yet".

Oh, and thank you for trying to stir up the discussion here. That's a good thing because we have a pretty good sampling of folks who love the things this forum gives us the opportunity to share.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

elkslayer4x5

#3 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

Thank for you thoughtful reply Grizzly. Good to see belief is alive and well, and that your fire is still burning.
I really should have posted this yesterday as most are probably working today. But there's plenty of time after dinner. :D

elkslayer4x5

#4 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

So far this post has worked as it should have, I now know at least two others on this site have more than one bow ;) So lets keep those posts comming. No one has mentioned broadheads or is there a special forum for them. Used to belong to a Broadhead board, noting but broadheads, should check if it is still around, that must have really squawked after Dr. Ashby reported his findings. :mrgreen:
As yet, no one has mentioned their arrows. Me? I'm kinda in-between, being retired, I don't have a lot of extra $, so am stuck right now using a old set of Easton Legacy 2020s that fly ok from the Hi-Speed but will be building more cedar for that bow. Spined 60-65, Haven't weighed the Hi-Speed at 30", but with the 30 gr insert adapter and the 130 gr No Mercy head, they'll weigh around 580 grs. Outta work. :lol:

EWill

#5 Post by EWill »

Since you asked, I shoot a Northern Mist whisper 68" 59lb. longbow. My broadhead is a trade point that I made myself from 1" metal banding. The head worked great. I was afraid the heads would not hold up when hitting a shoulder or other large bone so I shot it into a hard clay bank. The only time a head bent for me was when it hit a rock, imagine that. Anyway, I figure to continue to make these heads and save myself some money. I'm happy with them.
While I am here I have tried to find how to start a new thread but have not been able to figure it out, any help would be appreciated.

EWill

#6 Post by EWill »

Never mind about how to start a new topic, my wife figured it out for me.😊

Greg Felty

#7 Post by Greg Felty »

My two Cheetahs
My two Cheetahs
20190807_092049 - Edited.jpg (218.72 KiB) Viewed 327 times
I hunted this year with an American Archery Cheetah Hunter Special 58" 47 pound. Snuffer broad head
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#8 Post by Carpdaddy »

Thanks for your efforts in getting this place fired up again. I’ve been around here a while now, I’ve seen it get active, and seen it get silent again many times. I sure hope you get the flame burning again. I’ve made some good friends around here and am thankful for each of them. Unfortunately I have been struck with illness that has changed many things in my life, this season that just ended was the first I have had to miss out on in many years, certainly not by choice. Most of my hunting has been with bows I build myself, and many of the builds were done step by step on this site. These last few new bows I had to get someone else to do most of the work and finish it myself, won’t be trying any building this year. I am thankful to be able to fling a few arrows recently with a few of my low poundage bows. Sure hope to be blessed to hunt again. If I do I’ll probably be packing a Carp bow! :lol: :oops:
Attachments
8B0772CB-D13F-410D-8D6F-631BDB49BFD8.jpeg
8B0772CB-D13F-410D-8D6F-631BDB49BFD8.jpeg (126.06 KiB) Viewed 324 times

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

Thanks for blowing on the embers of the fire...the group of truly active participants here is small, but dedicated. Many of the subjects you asked about have been posted in spades in the past, but those threads are probably archived by now. So, I guess it wouldn't hurt to rehash old subjects for the newer members! I know I've posted numerous photos of all my bows, but never shy to post more! I love building my own cedars but haven't for some time now...I'm no longer shooting every night 9 months out of the year due to a few neighborly incidents, so not breaking or losing arrows like I used to...LOL! I would encourage all of us to follow Don's lead and show your stuff, re-tell those campfire stories, even if you've already done the show and tell, and let's not stuff the bows and arrows in the closet until next August this year!
Light 'em up, TH members!
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#10 Post by Captainkirk »

This was my first bow, 1968-69 Ben Pearson Super Jet, 35#@26" Still have it, still shoot it!

I was surprised to learn after a little research that this bow draws 35# @ 26" rather than the usual 28"

Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Campfire”