Hunting season of an ole Carp

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Hunting season of an ole Carp

#1 Post by Carpdaddy »

It’s that time again and I’m feeling blessed to be able to hunt some this season! I don’t go as far in the woods, climb as early, or stay as long, but I sure enjoy hunting. So I thought I would journal my season and share what it’s like trying to hunt when you’re a sickly ole codger!
Day one, opening morning, rain and all, I was in a tree. But unlike in times past, I was in a ladder stand, driven right to it in a side by side by a friend. Around 8:00 AM I caught movement coming up the hill toward me. Sure enough it was a large old doe. Unfortunately she didn’t get that old by being dumb and I could see right off that she knew something was out of place. I think she caught movement before I did, probably that silly old Carp sitting in a tree looking at his phone, and laughing about his buddy having hornet issues in his tree. Why do they issue “smart phones” to dumb people like me? And why would anyone be looking at their phone while hunting, oh well. Anyhow, her not know what it was kept easing towards me, and I kept easing up with bow in hand. As she cautiously approached something else caught my eye, a Buck I hadn’t saw walked out from behind my tree, he stopped right under my stand, maybe 5-6 yards! This was too good, opening morning and a buck wanting to make things easy on me. But as I sized him up I saw it was only a four pointer, not worth ending my season of hunting bucks for, so I chose to pass. I then turned my attention back to the doe that had now came within 15 yards, still nervous, and wondering why the buck wasn’t getting in trouble. After a while she made the mistake of coming in to about 12 yards and broadside. Sounds easy doesn’t it? Not if you’re an old Carp! I done had her claimed as I eased my fingers to the string....(to be continued...)
My bow of choice foe opening day: the Rainbow Carp. A bow I built back in 2013, it was crying to hunt again...
Attachments
A01757C3-5167-489D-9ABD-E93E26AFD926.jpeg
A01757C3-5167-489D-9ABD-E93E26AFD926.jpeg (178.23 KiB) Viewed 317 times
584965C1-D27A-4534-94A5-D10B0C8715B6.jpeg
584965C1-D27A-4534-94A5-D10B0C8715B6.jpeg (205.56 KiB) Viewed 317 times

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Hunting season of an ole Carp

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

Well what could go wrong now, large doe, no fawns, and close Range? Let me remind you that we live in a time of new-fangled fancy gadgets. And sometimes even us ole codgers get caught up in the hype. One would think that if a feller built his own bow, string, and quiver, he wouldn’t need the latest gadgets. But I found myself drawn to a really good invention in my book, the lighted nock, boy aren’t they nice!
As my fingers reached the string to draw, focused on the spot I wanted my arrow to go, I never got to draw.. just the slight bump of my fingers and the loose, (too loose), nock decided to just fall off the string!! Being such a speed master I did manage to snatch it quickly as the nock went up, and the broadhead went down, caught it just before the arrow fell off completely. But all this didn’t happen without noise, nor without movement, nor without attention! Both deer looked like they were shot out of a cannon! Look at the stump in the picture, buck was in front, doe just beyond it.
So I gave myself a good well earned laugh, I earned it, now it’s your turn. (To be continued)
Attachments
546B4299-0B08-4F33-AC10-4C207BF82D87.jpeg
546B4299-0B08-4F33-AC10-4C207BF82D87.jpeg (263.48 KiB) Viewed 316 times

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

Went back out Saturday evening for another attempt. Sat up on a big soybean field in a Chestnut Oak. No Deer were harmed, spooked, or even seen. I did have lots of action however with the Sand Hornets that seemed to want me out of their tree. I stayed still and stood my ground, thought I was doing rather well as they flew by several times, even circled me quite a bit. Still not panicking I sat still..... then my phone went off in the side pocket on my pants leg, it was set to vibrate!.....
Evening view...
Attachments
41DD33D6-7CEE-4616-A72F-1BBA4F819BFE.jpeg
41DD33D6-7CEE-4616-A72F-1BBA4F819BFE.jpeg (232.74 KiB) Viewed 316 times

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

This is great, Tony! Almost like we were there with you!
Aim small, miss small!

Greg Felty

#5 Post by Greg Felty »

Thanks for sharing, can't wait for the rest of the story.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#6 Post by Carpdaddy »

Now on to Monday’s hunt or hunt plans I should say. My partner was off so we planned to hunt. Got up around five, no alarm clock needed, part of getting old! Unfortunately there is more to getting old than meets the eye, especially if you have serious illness, which is much worse than aging. Got up as planned but my body refused to cooperate, I was just too weak, couldn’t get it together, so I had to cancel in hope of a better evening. That didn’t work out either! All I managed to accomplish today was to fling some arrows and that wore me out! Health issues can be cruel, Oh well; I am still greatly blessed! Enjoyed the texts from him sitting in his blind.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

You have your priorities straight, Tony. 'Dirty' Harry Callahan said it best- "A man's got to know his limitations". You do.
Aim small, miss small!

Greg Felty

#8 Post by Greg Felty »

Hope you get better soon Tony
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Elkman
Site Admin

#9 Post by Elkman »

Nice to hear you got out Tony.

Thanks for sharing. Hope your next hunt goes well 🙏.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#10 Post by Carpdaddy »

Well the hunting has been on hold, Revival since last Wednesday, did slip out Saturday morning but saw nothing but a few Turkey in the distance. Got today to rest and maybe go out this evening, then kicking off a Revival at another Church Wednesday, but only couple nights for me, then maybe another chance Friday. :mrgreen:

Return to “Campfire”