Hunting season of an ole Carp

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Hunting season of an ole Carp

#41 Post by Carpdaddy »

After the miss and the deer running off I look in the distance and see her approaching again, she had not had enough, she wanted to know what happened. But this time she is being more cautious and approaching by going downwind of whatever had disturbed her. She got within range again but kept herself in the thickest stuff she could find and where she could keep checking the wind. She was carefully looking all around but not seeing anything so she kept easing closer. Finally she reached the place to where she could smell something rotten and that should not be there! She turned inside out and disappeared. Then stopped far out of sight to alert every other deer in the mountains by blowing at me!
But the hunt continues !

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#42 Post by Carpdaddy »

A couple more hours went by after the miss and I’m still kicking myself for blowing an easy shot. But to my surprise I see more deer coming from the same direction. One of them looks quite large! But as they approach I see that it is a huge long headed old Doe. The one with big momma is about the size of the one I missed. Surely she didn’t go tell mom on me! She didn’t get that big by being dumb, I could tell by how she carefully approached, in the brushy stuff, and headed in the direction to pick up the sent of anything that shouldn’t be there. Being between two large trees has advantages and disadvantages. They got behind the large tree below me and must have turned right in my direction. I couldn’t peep around the tree for fear of being busted so I stood still as I could. The smaller yet decent sized doe finally started coming out on my left but stopped with only her neck and head sticking out. Big momma was still behind the big tree and still coming. Finally she pops out and I slowly begin leaning around for a shot. But she won’t turn, she keeps coming straight. I began drawing several times but didn’t want to shoot straight down, spine shots kill, but it usually requires a second shot, and it’s not a pretty picture or sound. Don’t ask how I know. Anyhow, she is now standing almost directly under me, and I’m looking down with fingers on the string, waiting for her to turn. But she had a better plan…
I took a picture of where she was standing inside the logs under me…
Attachments
BE478340-2AA5-495F-AFFD-ECA889DFF144.jpeg
BE478340-2AA5-495F-AFFD-ECA889DFF144.jpeg (230.18 KiB) Viewed 176 times

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#43 Post by Carpdaddy »

So what could go wrong now?

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#44 Post by Captainkirk »

Stuff happens
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#45 Post by Carpdaddy »

Yep; stuff happens, and it’s never a sure thing, so we call it hunting. As I waited for her to turn either way for a more preferred shot she did the wrong thing; she looked up! Directly above her she spotted what must have been the ugliest critter she had ever spotted in a tree. One glance and she turned inside out, at least that’s how it appeared, she disappeared in an instant! Her friend quickly followed suit and only stopped in the distance to announce my presence to everything in the mountains.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#46 Post by Carpdaddy »

Friday September 30th AM
Sat several hours in a tree watching the over abundance of Squirrels and chipmunks.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#47 Post by Carpdaddy »

Friday September 30th PM
After hearing about all the action my friend was having where he was hunting I was getting the itch to try and make the hike. He had told me that he could put me in a great area if I was able to walk that far. A simple task in my younger and healthier days but a bit more challenging on an ole Carp! But I have come a long way and been blessed greatly to be able to hunt again. I have gone from having to ride an electric cart in a store, and sitting down to preach, to walking and climbing trees again. But it’s even easier when you meet one of those folks that just go above and beyond the call of duty. And I must say that the Sandman has exceeded not only expectations but also any imagination of what good people do for others. The walk was hard but doable. But what I didn’t expect was for him to carry my tree stand all the way in. Then not just tell me where to hunt, but to take me in the woods where he had hunted, still carrying my stand. Then show me deer sign, trails, and everything one could hope for in a hunting set up. But where he was showing me the sign I couldn’t seem to find a suitable tree to climb. As any high priced guide would do he kept looking until he found a great tree farther down the hill with heavy trails. He got me down there and pushed away a log so I could get my stand on the tree. The finally made the hike out and on to his hunting spot, please don’t give him my address, I dread the thought of what a guide service bill I must have ran up, and he is not finished yet! :mrgreen:

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#48 Post by Carpdaddy »

I got settled in and before long I spotted a visitor up the hill from me. That was where I had wanted to set up but couldn’t find a good climber tree. But after a little browsing she began working her way down the hill toward me. I eased up because she was coming on my right side, got myself ready, and kept watching her work her way closer. When she finally got into range I kept looking for an open shot but either the angle was wrong or there was too much cover for a clear shot. She got within fifteen yards and I had my fingers on the string trying not to move. Unfortunately her pace was not in sync with mine. I was beginning to get that weary off balance feeling you get when standing like a statue for a long period of time. But she was close, and I knew not to move, which was hard enough in itself, but even harder with the skeeter or something biting me on the left side of my neck. I could take it no longer, I ease up my shoulder to ward off the biting creature, and eased my elbow back against the tree for a point of reference before I lost my balance completely and fell. She is standing well within range but under a tree, and quartering hard towards me. What else could happen?
Well as I continue standing with fingers back on the string now she is finally moving again, but stopping too much, and in the wrong places, but then something strange happened. I hear a clear distinct sound of a dog barking! Not a real dog, but the text notification on my phone. Some dummy had forgotten to put it on silent mode.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#49 Post by Carpdaddy »

Strange as it was she didn’t appear to hear the text notification And now I’m sure hoping not to get a spam call! She is still very close and I’m waiting for a open shot and good angle. It happened quickly as she turned away from me in search of an acorn or something. She exposed her shoulder and side and I quickly came to full draw, but I remembered to pick a spot low, and to follow through. The shot felt good, and sounded good, but I couldn’t see the arrow or where I hit. As she jumped and ran the second bark came on my phone, but this time I didn’t mind, the arrow and deer was already gone!
I sat down to relax, silence my phone, and to review what just happened in my mind. I checked to see the text message, it was the Sandman, he was checking to make sure I got set up okay. He was in his swinging saddle and seeing deer in the distance. I caught him up on what had just happened, I couldn’t say for sure if I had connected or not. So we decided to give some time and I would get down and see what I could figure out. After a good while sitting, looking, and wondering, I eased down to look. After a short time looking first in the wrong place I spotted my arrow. It was sticking deep in a dead piece of limb, but the color seemed to have changed, and it wasn’t from exposure to the sun, it was Red! Looked like a good pass through. Surely that couldn’t be, I’m only shooting a 40# bow! It looked like this…
Attachments
FC42502E-9ABB-42EB-918E-DADAA87FA78F.jpeg
FC42502E-9ABB-42EB-918E-DADAA87FA78F.jpeg (216.14 KiB) Viewed 164 times

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#50 Post by Carpdaddy »

After looking around a bit and walking in the direction she went I began noticing strange looking stuff on the ground in several places, looked something like this…
Attachments
8792EEB2-D1D0-4C86-B347-66595A792C8C.jpeg
8792EEB2-D1D0-4C86-B347-66595A792C8C.jpeg (218.08 KiB) Viewed 162 times

Return to “Campfire”