Found what I'd been missing

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
Shadowhntr

Re: Found what I'd been missing

#11 Post by Shadowhntr »

I know this is an old thread. Reading through this gave me the shivers. This is my worst nightmares all over again. Yes he found the deer....but a Looooong time too late. Not directly his fault, but i know in my heart the loss could have been prevented. A quartering away shot is the best shot to take lethality speaking. But in the trad world, this scene has happened over and over again...several times from myself. This reminder of what happened to this man and deer, makes me absolutely positive, and sure im doing the right thing in my set up......
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Kbetts

#12 Post by Kbetts »

Shadowhntr wrote:I know this is an old thread. Reading through this gave me the shivers. This is my worst nightmares all over again. Yes he found the deer....but a Looooong time too late. Not directly his fault, but i know in my heart the loss could have been prevented. A quartering away shot is the best shot to take lethality speaking. But in the trad world, this scene has happened over and over again...several times from myself. This reminder of what happened to this man and deer, makes me absolutely positive, and sure im doing the right thing in my set up......

As an update, I haven't shot a deer with Trad gear since. I'm on some good ones so hopefully soon. Changed a little in my set up and I'm shooting great. This game is soooo mental. That experience crushed me. I took a good hard look at what I can realistically control.

I got in better "shape". Bumped up my bow weight (not that that is an issue) from the 56# I was shooting to 64#. Changed to a lower broadhead angle and now shoot a stronger arrow. I'm going to find out very soon if the changes make a difference.
My range finder, release, and sights are the ones God gave me.

Shadowhntr

#13 Post by Shadowhntr »

If you haven't brother, concentrate on adjusting the arrow. check into high end FOC, and sufficient arrow weight. Nobody should have to go through what you did. Its miserable. The shot may have been off a skosh, but penetration should have happened regardless. Lack of penetration is the #1 reason for deer not being recovered. Study Dr Ed Ashbys 20 year research documents , to help eliminate problems of penetration.

Foc should be at least 19%.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#14 Post by Captainkirk »

I'm becoming more of a follower of Ashby all the time. Good luck this season, Kyle!
Aim small, miss small!

Kbetts

#15 Post by Kbetts »

I was high end FOC to begin with. 250 grains of the 550 arrow were in the broadhead. Problem was the arrow failed at the insert, it broke through the shaft wall at its deepest point. So it "stuck" good. Shouldn't have used a Snuffer. I like them but not if I'm shooting big, heavy critters anymore. I'll stick with a 3:1 Woodsman or VPA. Unlike when I just got started and just wanted to hit something, I would always shoot back in the soft stuff. I got too confident and didn't give enough room for error on this shot.

I actually went the opposite way......2219 aluminum and 200 up front. Different bow, but I like what I see.
My range finder, release, and sights are the ones God gave me.

Shadowhntr

#16 Post by Shadowhntr »

I see. Arrow and broadhead integrity is the most important factor thats for sure.

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”