Stand or blind?

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Stand or blind?

#11 Post by Captainkirk »

The native American had a description for this type of hunting; "walk little, listen much".
Good advice.
On most PHL in Illinois, you are not allowed to still hunt with a bow for some absurd reason. You are required to sit a blind or stand.
Aim small, miss small!

Old Shortstop

#12 Post by Old Shortstop »

I hunt whitetails from hang on and ladders the most, but I have some ground setups too. I try to adjust to the situation. I like natural blinds better than pop ups for deer if I go that route. A bout with the flu about 10 years ago took about 85% of my hearing in my right ear and affected my equilibrium so I typically only go 10-15 feet high if I am in a stand. Background is the key for me not height. I have had more success on whitetails out of a tree, but I have done it a lot more too.

For turkeys I use a pop up most of the time.

D.P.

Stiknstring

#13 Post by Stiknstring »

Captainkirk wrote:The native American had a description for this type of hunting; "walk little, listen much".
Good advice.
On most PHL in Illinois, you are not allowed to still hunt with a bow for some absurd reason. You are required to sit a blind or stand.
Is it a ticket-able offense?
How do they know you are not walking to/from your stand, and you just move slow...?
Thats crazy, but the landscape is probably a little different.
mm #2 (95).jpg
mm #2 (95).jpg (149.5 KiB) Viewed 3068 times
mm #2 (145) (600x425).jpg
mm #2 (145) (600x425).jpg (156.23 KiB) Viewed 3068 times

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#14 Post by Captainkirk »

Just a bit.....
Aim small, miss small!

Longtrad

#15 Post by Longtrad »

Carpdaddy wrote: I also can't seem to stay in one place if I'm on the ground, I am always seeing a place not far away that looks much better, at least till I get there.

Quoted for truth!

Ole Dave

#16 Post by Ole Dave »

I wrote this in another post, I used to love to sit trees in a hang on! Rapid Rails with a boxed foot rung and a NON typical stand is rock solid... I enjoyed most observing all manner of wildlife from above that didn't know I was there. When hunting pressured deer in PA, the deer were conditioned to LOOK UP and you had to know where others had hung stands and go elsewhere to avoid being picked off.

The few times I tried still hunting, I'd be still hunting and all I saw were lots of white flags like Tony... I made a brush blind once and they KNEW I was there... even in a shaggy string suit. I did have yearling button stick his head inside my blind cause he knew something wasn't right...

NOW, arthritis keeps me from sitting in that cramped position for long periods. Had I a place where I could leave a stand, I found I loved sitting in ladders... tighten up my fall restraint system and even dozed...

Stalking also presented the wrong shot angle oft times combined with where I hunted, we had postage stamp size plots and a checkerboard of posted vs. ok to hunt land... moving about usually just moved deer off where we could hunt to other hunters... I don't know here in TN...only found one WMA area and it's a bit of a drive (again) and the other is by invitation only...

I only had one climber, it was a face the tree gun type. I'd bring up the foot part and could shoot over the rails...standing with back to tree, but I could bring up the foot part, nestle down in the seat and be completely enclosed and SLEEP... yea, getting up 3AM, driving hour or so, putting up stands and waiting on daylight tends to weigh on my eyelids! Now I can use the excuse I'm old... :lol:
All we have and call our own, once belonged to someone else, and will again. Our purpose here is not to serve ourselves.

Bigfoot SAS LB (47# LB limbs 38# Semi Static RC limbs)

Couple of old Bear bows

Jamesh76

#17 Post by Jamesh76 »

I prefer a stand. I enjoy the view from above. I do however, not like to be over about 15' as the shot angle is not real favorable in my opinion.
I like permanent 12-15' ladder stands. I feel safer in them, they are easy to climb and comfortable.
For Blinds, I prefer a natural that has been brushed in and set up prior to hunting. I like these in thick cedars or real brushy timber and only about 12-15 yards from the trail.
I have tried pop up blinds and have 1 or 2 I don't use much. To me, they block my view more than I like. If you hunt with all the windows open 360 degree, it defeats the purpose. They are nice though when it gets really cold.
I have 3 climbing stands. I like using these on public hunting spots. They are nice and light. Easy to set up and you can get in/out without worry of someone stealing them. I also like the fact that you can face them which ever direction you want and adjust your height a little bit if you need to clear branch or something in the way of your shooting lane.
I have 3 hand ons which I do not use much. I don't like climbing steps and really only use them as temporary stands. One is set up permanent, but has a ladder leading up to it. The other I use to hang as a double when I want to sit with one of the kids. The third one, I have a set of climbing sticks and use it for a quick set if I see deer moving through a location I do not have a stand.

Shadowhntr

#18 Post by Shadowhntr »

I like to hunt from a stand both climber and hang ons....I also like to hunt on the ground in a natural blind, but far more often I hunt from a chair pretty much exposed without a blind and just in an bit of cover to break up my outline. I also love to still hunt, and stalk. It depends on the situation like, time of year, wind direction, my plans and preperation for the spot, and so on. I enjoy being around the deer, and in the woods no matter my method. I have taken several animals with each method, but tree stands tend to produce more shot opportunities for me.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”