Best buck bait ever

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Best buck bait ever

#1 Post by Carpdaddy »

And this is the time of year to let them pass.
No matter how close they come by you...
DONT KILL YOUR BAIT!!!

Shadowhntr

Re: Best buck bait ever

#2 Post by Shadowhntr »

Man CD, aint that the truth! Of course, for those huters just after the meat, it simply dont matter. I'm kinda wanting a doe this year, so I may end up sacrificing a stand site just to see if I can still shoot a doe. Its been a while since I have, I get so tangled up in buck hunting. :?
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

It would have been a lot harder if I had not already taken a doe this season. I had another close encounter with a Turkey, came within 15 yards and spotted me, I was waiting for it to turn so I could draw. It did but during my draw it took off fast and got behind brush and trees, never had an open shot. It was 15 or under when it spotted me, I was still hunting this morning.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

You lucky dog!
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#5 Post by Carpdaddy »

Captainkirk wrote:You lucky dog!
You are right! Very blessed to be able to get out, to have a place to hunt, and to have an opportunity to shoot if I wanted too.

Longtrad

#6 Post by Longtrad »

Man what a view, thanks for sharing, would be a hard one to pass up for sure.

Gamestalker

#7 Post by Gamestalker »

That's a big part of the reason that I never shoot does when bow hunting, and even the first week of gun season. ;)
Does can lead the bucks right to the water.... kill zone. :)

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#8 Post by Carpdaddy »

I'm not one to pass on a doe normally, the rut tends to have strange effects on me! It actually hasn't started yet but should be very close, I just can't stop looking for a buck to come following behind. They better not do that after the rut!

Shadowhntr

#9 Post by Shadowhntr »

Carpdaddy wrote:I'm not one to pass on a doe normally, the rut tends to have strange effects on me! It actually hasn't started yet but should be very close, I just can't stop looking for a buck to come following behind. They better not do that after the rut!
I get the same way. But with the delayed rut, plus this doe came all alone last night, I couldn't resist! Ahhhhh well, its public and will get pressure soon anyway. :?
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#10 Post by Carpdaddy »

Know what you mean Jason, there are variables in these situations. First I got meat already, second I was in the area of where I got big buck pictures. Had I been in an area that I get no buck pictures and still had no rut activity, different outcome! It is best to pass as we are expecting the rut to begin though, they are the best bait for bucks!

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”