Thoughts on frontal shots

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
Shadowhntr

Re: Thoughts on frontal shots

#11 Post by Shadowhntr »

I personally think there is a difference Clay. A deers ability to focus is apparantly to the front. Anytime anything gets their interest, which way does their head face, to the side of interest, or right at interest? Every time Im busted by a deers eyes, its because the head is facing right at me, and thats when I can see it in their eyes and facial expressions that they've made me. I think they have great peripheral vision that certainly can pick up movement or oddities, but to dial in focus, the deer after picking up something to the side, will always turn its head and face it, in order to focus upon it. So yes, I think by moving in the right way, and blending with the environment, from the side we can draw and shoot many more times undetected then we can a deer coming right at us. Its too easy for the deer to bring us into its focus of where its traveling . We want to be one of hundreds of objects off to the side, that the deer dismisses as part of its natural environment. If something goes wrong and deer shifts its attention off to the side and becomes focused on you, its because it picked up movement or we didn't blend in properly, and at that point we are screwed. Coming right at you, there is very little chance of it not noticing you, putting it on alert, and jumping upon the shot. I've read all kinds of hunters evaluations on string jumping, but in every instance of string jumping in my case, it has always been the result of the deer becoming aware of my presence. They may not know what you are, and may not run out of there, but they are on alert and not relaxed even if seeming to go about their business. A deer totally oblivious to anything out of the ordinary when the arrow is fired, will not , or rarely, jumps string. Those hunters who continually are dealing with deer that jump string, are dealing with deer that have noticed something amiss. So the hunter in not realizing this, will swear deer jump every time....but its because of their lack of ability to make the shot completely unnoticed, and the hunter just hasn't figured it out yet, that the deer have picked up on something is the reason for the jumping. Operating in such a manner catches up to you eventually, no matter if aiming low has become standard or not. Jumping causes, doesn't have to mean that a deer notices a human or possible human is near, it can also mean the deer notices something different or out of place.

Would you notice a new object in your living room? Well, that deer knows its woods better then we know our living rooms. Best to blend off to the side.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#12 Post by Carpdaddy »

Although I did it once many years ago I am not an advocate for taking that shot. But I repeat that my only experience taking the shot was lethal. The 60lb recurve I was shooting back then with heavy arrows and high foc had no problem passing completely through even the back ham. Not a pretty thing when gutting and I don't recommend it. But I must say that it sure tasted better than those I have passed that shot on! Best not to do it.

Shadowhntr

#13 Post by Shadowhntr »

I agree Tony....I dont like the mess that shot creates no matter the weapon. UGH....

nm41mag

#14 Post by nm41mag »

It may have been that gang related site but there was a thread or u tube video about deer anatomy. bottom line small target lots of ways to screw it up. so from in front of the computer I'll say no. In the woods rational decisions do not always come so easy.

Longtrad

#15 Post by Longtrad »

When the deer gets to scratching their head and start to do the up and down head bob do you think they are trying to gauge distance or get their eyes to be able to pick up on more detail from rapidly changing their perspective/orientation? Kind of like a chicken bobbing its head as it walks?

Shadowhntr

#16 Post by Shadowhntr »

I have always thought of the head bob as the deer simply trying to get "it" (whatever "it" is, in our case, us!) to flinch, or make some kind of a move. I think they do it when they dont recognize the object, but aren't concerned enough to go the next steps and begin stomping, running, or snorting. Ive seen variations of it as well. Mohawk and I witnessed a decent 10 pt trying to make us along a trail we had been still hunting. Of course he came up the trail fast enough we couldn't get properly hid in time, so the buck stopped some 15 yards away facing us. He first waited a bit in hopes the wind would shift. When that didn't work, he began sticking his tounge up each nostril alternately like a cow, but so fast it was almost a blur. He'd clean out that nose with several lickes per nostril, then stretch out his head and neck and ssssnnniiifffff....then repeated the process 2 or 3 times. When he still got nothing, he began acting unconcerned and would casually turn his head to the side or straight back, and after a second he would snap his head back around to the front as if trying to catch us move. It was just like playing red light-green light as a kid. The buck did this for what seemed like FOREVER. It was amazing to watch him deliberately try to catch us. I dont think he was only looking for movement, but also if there had been a positional change of the "objects". I dont know how many times he did it but it was numerous. The show finally ended when the wind circled lightly towards him. He pee'd himself and took off like a shot!

Longtrad

#17 Post by Longtrad »

haha awesome story :D :) :D

these deer are amazing, the eyes are just one of the things to worry about

Gamestalker

#18 Post by Gamestalker »

I don't think I would even consider the front on shot with a bow, but with a gun I don't even hesitate. As a matter of fact, just two days ago I was on the way out the door to go hunting when as I was pulling the back door of the house shut I spotted a doe looking at me from behind the chicken coop. I dropped my fanny pack, grabbed a shell from my pocket & put it into the chamber of my shotgun. Then I closed the action & grabbed a second shell to put in the magazine. She stood there looking at me the whole time. Then I raised up & aimed at her neck. When I squeezed the trigger she dropped in her tracks. :)

Mohawk

#19 Post by Mohawk »

:lol: :lol: :lol: That was back a spell! It's crazy the things animals do to get the edge. I enjoy the head bobbing crap deer pull, for some reason. Red light-green light is a perfect analogy.
I haven't taken a frontal shot with a bow. I remember ol' Ben Lee taking one on a video of his though. This Buck is running through the timber and Ben whistles at him. He stops facing Ben and he sends the arrow. Ben shot a compound bow and drew as soon as he saw the buck coming, so that wasn't an issue, all he had to do was shoot. The shot was portrayed as efficiently lethal, but who knows what hollyweed tactics went into the vid. I can't say I would take the shot, I can't guarantee I wouldn't either. I can say I would far prefer a broadside shot. It would be a tough hurdle to jump just to be able to draw and shoot without the deer knowing you're there and getting the opportunity.
With a gun? Oh for sure! Settle them crosshairs betwixt them eyes and let the powder burn. :D

Feefee

#20 Post by Feefee »

I'd skewer it in a heart beat :D

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”