Late season and lower standards

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Late season and lower standards

#1 Post by Carpdaddy »

As I sat in my perch yesterday evening in the cold only to have no movement until after shooting light I decided that I probably won't be so picky the rest of the season. I still probably wouldn't shoot a spike but i don't think Doe's or borderline bucks should take the risk. I'm not picture taking now! :mrgreen: Any others got lower standards after the gun season?

Ole Dave

Re: Late season and lower standards

#2 Post by Ole Dave »

AFTER gun season? Lower standards...? HOW LOW CAN YOU GO? :lol:

Gun season lasts here till Jan 8 and here on out here in this area it's bucks only (2).

But only deer I've seen is on road into town standing on yellow line... daring me to hit em! Ha! Doe and two big fawns I guess... one went back the way they came...I had come to complete stop.

Where I was yesterday for first time it was a public WMA and had been logged off I guess cause it was 2-3" saplings and brush and stickers... trails thru it all, but saw no poop, scrapes or rubs... not sure what that means... guess they're somewhere else then where I was...sure beat the tar outa my old carcass, but hey...better then a poke in the eye with a sharp stick...oh, WAIT...I had that too! :o

Keep on after them...young deer don't mount pretty but they eat good...
All we have and call our own, once belonged to someone else, and will again. Our purpose here is not to serve ourselves.

Bigfoot SAS LB (47# LB limbs 38# Semi Static RC limbs)

Couple of old Bear bows

Shadowhntr

#3 Post by Shadowhntr »

Idk.... I have to wait and see if you get a small buck, so I can pass one up similar and give you greif over not sticking to your goals, the rest of the year!!!! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#4 Post by Carpdaddy »

Shadowhntr wrote:Idk.... I have to wait and see if you get a small buck, so I can pass one up similar and give you greif over not sticking to your goals, the rest of the year!!!! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cruel man!

Shadowhntr

#5 Post by Shadowhntr »

Lol!!!! Im not going to be too picky from here on out. Pretty much if a deer of any sort gives me an opportunity, I'll sure try to put it in the freezer. Im going to keep bowhunting a while though I think.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#6 Post by Carpdaddy »

We may be copying Captain's thoughts by the end of season. If it's brown it's down. :lol: :lol:

Shadowhntr

#7 Post by Shadowhntr »

Carpdaddy wrote:We may be copying Captain's thoughts by the end of season. If it's brown it's down. :lol: :lol:
Heck, I may be taggin' roadkill!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#8 Post by Carpdaddy »

My biggest issue is that I need to be focused on Elk and I'm still trying to punch a buck tag! If I could get rid of that tag then maybe I would get motivated.

Gamestalker

#9 Post by Gamestalker »

Well, the season has seemed to really slow down & I have way too many tags left to fill.... so I'm shooting (gun only) anything that doesn't have spots or small racks.

One day this week I was going to spend the day doing things with the wife, so I didn't go out hunting. I was sitting in the livingroom having a cup of coffee at about 7:00 when she yelled from the other room, "hey there's a deer in the field!" It was just getting light enough so I grabbed my new inline muzzleloader, went into our son's bedroom & opened the window. I stuck the barrel out the window, rested on the sill, aimed & BOOM. When the cloud of smoke cleared I couldn't see the deer. I put on a pair of insulated coveralls & went out to check on it. I was just passing by my chicken coop when I looked up & saw what looked like a darker area at the fence. From the angle I was looking, it was hard to know for sure what I was seeing, so I walked over to look down the other side of the fence line. :shock: I just chuckled & thought to myself, "Holy cow!" :P
This is what I saw....

I took pic's from both sides of the fence before touching it.

In the first pic, she had been on the left side of the fence when I shot. She ran maybe 10 yards right into the fence & her nose went thru one of the squares of the fence. Then she flipped over the fence & was left hanging there. :lol:
The hole where you see blood running out is the exit hole.
I had to flip her back over the fence to get her nose unhooked from it.
I dressed it out & dragged it about 100 yards to hang it in my shop. Now, that's my kind of grocery shopping! :mrgreen:

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#10 Post by Carpdaddy »

Now there's a hunting story you don't hear and see every day. :lol: :lol: Even tried to hang herself up for the skinning. :mrgreen:

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”