Thoughts on ground blinds.

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
stumper

Thoughts on ground blinds.

#1 Post by stumper »

As previously mentioned I won my friend over and got him into traditional archery this year we're going to be hunting on public land and are looking at various methods of doing so. My question is what are your thoughts on ground blinds they seem to be cheaper than tree stands would be a little bit more comfortable and we could get one big enough for both of us to be in the same one for the fraction of the cost of what a good climbing trees stand costs. What do you all think?
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Longtrad

Re: Thoughts on ground blinds.

#2 Post by Longtrad »

Sounds like a great idea to me, You guys could also go out before season and make yourself a few ground blinds or pit blinds

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

On average (not always) Deer are skiddish upon first seeing them. Seem to better where they can be set early. Brushing them in helps from what I gather from others. I have used some of my buddies homemade brush and twig blinds, they do well. He has taken a Turkey and deer from those he made by gathering limbs and putting them around an already began by nature blind. Fallen tree or limbs, ditch or sunken place, stump...

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

I'm a ground blind convert. I love the added sense of security and freedom to move around a bit. It teaches you to be aware or your scent and limited vision, but rarely does your line of vision get in the way of a typical shot (12-15 yards) anyway with a trad bow. Biggest thing to remember is to get out early and construct some windfall/brush pile blinds either to sit behind or erect your pop-up early enough for deer to get used to it (like; NOW).
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#5 Post by Shadowhntr »

I love ground blinds esp natural ones. The biggest problem I have is 2 fold. 1 getting the blind in the right spot. It's a lot of work if you are off. 2 , irregular winds. Those conquered they are awesome.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

Well, if you construct several to allow for different wind conditions it just looks like a big brush pile to other hunters or hikers (or DNR guys on PHL). All you invest is a little time and sweat.
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#7 Post by Shadowhntr »

Im not really thinking of various wind directions...but irregular winds. Let's say you build a blind for south wind, and the winds of the area as a whole, are indeed south when you go to hunt it....yet when you get to the blind you find the wind is blowing east, then south, then west, then back to east and so on so that any deer around know you are there already. Sometimes winds act much different at a certain location then what the wind is actually blowing everywhere else because of terrain and tree leaves causing turbulence. If you dont know that about the area and spend 1/2 a day building the blind and find out a week into season you are s.o.l........it kinda puts a damper on you with all the work put into it and for nothing. I wish it was as easy as just planning for a certain steady wind direction.... then it would be a pretty good chance id kill about every time I went out being on the ground or not. I rarely get seen anymore on the ground.... I go through numerous encounters every year though, that are extremely close encounters/close calls, where it virtually always ends bad for me because of fickle winds that gives me away. The shift of wind current and turbulence is about the only really hard thing to either over come...or rather get lucky with, when ground hunting verses tree stands though it still plays a major role in the tree. Drawing can be tricky on the ground, but patience is generally all that is needed for that.
That whole factor, is why I often choose to hunt without a blind at all, and just use some form of cover already existing that you can blend with and be broken up from. I've found it just as effective or more so then blinds ....with tons less time and work involved, allowing more mobility. Blinds in the right spot if all is well with winds and are on location where they offer an easy shot are great. It just don't happen that way often without some trial and error.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#8 Post by Captainkirk »

Actually, any fat-assed tree trunk will do to set a portable stool behind...back in the early '90s Dr. Ken Nordberg came up with a hypothesis of still hunting in which the hunter walks into the wind for 5 minutes, finds a tree, then sits for 55 minutes followed by a repetition of the whole thing over again; mid-day he would turn around and head back toward the starting point, figuring his scent had already dissipated somewhat after 4 hours. Claimed it was incredibly effective with gun hunting but also worked well with bowhunting and assuming you are limited to a 400yard patch of woods this method allows you to traverse the entire area twice in a given day. I've used it gun hunting and it works.
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#9 Post by Shadowhntr »

I know I've used similar tactics, only without timing myself, and have killed numerous deer and so many close encounters I couldn't count it by doing so. Sometimes it's been literally one or two inches keeping me from shooting. Sometimes It happens, and many times not...but it's always enjoyed no matter what the case.
I've gotten burned so many times on blinds....Im much preferring the fat ass tree thing.

stumper

#10 Post by stumper »

Great thoughts everyone. Fat ass tree may get nod because we cannot leave equipment on wma here. Seems as though the stool and a tree might be the simplest solution. And probably the best.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”