First attemps at bending 1 in PVC (tight bends)

For all the things we make ourselves for the outdoor world that are not covered in the other specific DIY area.
Ron Kulas

First attemps at bending 1 in PVC (tight bends)

#1 Post by Ron Kulas »

In the future there may be some PVC projects coming up that would involve bending 1 inch Schedule 40. This was the first attempt at making some pretty sharp bends. (used a piece of 3 in Sch 40 as the bending mandrel.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNa8qVJzK5U
The Joy is in the doing.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: First attemps at bending 1 in PVC (tight bends)

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

Cool. I made some bows from it years ago which involved flattening it at a tapered rate. A little learning curb involved usually. You must have skipped on the learning to be able to make those curves without creasing or flattening. Have good ventilation when heating, I read somewhere that the fumes can be bad.

Ron Kulas

Re: First attemps at bending 1 in PVC (tight bends)

#3 Post by Ron Kulas »

Not if you keep the heat low and not with Regular (home Depot) commercial low pressure PVC. Even so I did it outside.

To keep from crushing, I bent the 180 degree bend by inserting a coil extension spring (it was a perfect fit on the I.D.) and then bending it around another pipe. The spring follows the bend perfecting and keeps it round and with a rope tied to the loop at the end of the coil spring, it allows you to pull the spring out after its bent.

I did the 360 degree bend by capping both ends after filling the pipe with washed sandbox sand. I saw a bit of flattening when using sand but I could have avoided that by using a form rather than bending it around a piece of 3" I went tighter and further than I will need to for this upcoming project just to test my capabilities.

For 45 and 90 degree bends, the spring is the better and easier option. for bending a coil the sand is the better option.

If I need to make a bend in a long piece where the bend is far from the end, I would press a foam plug in from when end with a ram rod and then fill with sand and then another foam plug rammed in from the other end. I would make the bend and when cooled, pour acetone into the pipe to dissolve the foam plug and then pour the sand out of the pipe.
The Joy is in the doing.

Return to “DIY section”