Bear and deer loading for solo hunters

For all the things we make ourselves for the outdoor world that are not covered in the other specific DIY area.
Shadowhntr

Re: Bear and deer loading for solo hunters

#11 Post by Shadowhntr »

Dont worry Mike, you cant possibly haul yourself on it, and if someone else is hauling you on it, you will never know it!

I wish I could use the invention, but im becoming more like Mike, in that I have to start cutting them in quarters to get them out because of lack of ability to be able to get close. No other means of transportation allowed but by foot on public ground. Id rather get em out whole and work on them hanging, which is what ive always done....but im having to go to more inaccessible areas so I gotta change.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Gamestalker

#12 Post by Gamestalker »

You guys bring up a question....
How far will you drag a deer?

Of course you drag them the shortest distance possible. But, hunting on my club's properties, it's not uncommon to drag a deer a half mile & sometimes even more.

At what distance do you consider it too far to drag?

Shadowhntr

#13 Post by Shadowhntr »

Of course a lot of it depends on terrain. Up and down hills, in tall grass...not very far. I know in terrain with timber and agriculture with creeks, I dont want to have to go through what I did last year with my buck again if I can avoid it, and it was around 3/4 mile as near as I can figure. Even with a deer cart it about killed my oldest son Russ and I. He is in great shape too.

Now Russ is more tied up in his jobs, (and girlfriend), so help will be none existing on many hunts since my youngest, Wyatt, is in school. I couldnt drag that buck 50 yards by myself.....but he wouldn't even fit the deer cart and we had to improvise to get him on it. Realistically, im stuck boneing them out, out in the field. I can cart the meat out, or even the head and cape too, by myself. With CWD on the move, that will dictate having to do that anyway if that junk ever reaches my area.

Ive seen videos of guys, grabbing deer and flinging them over their backs and walking out with them....or a single man dragging off with a deer for what seems like a long ways. Id like to see them do any of that, with our mature deer here.

Stiknstring

#14 Post by Stiknstring »

I've seen videos of guys, grabbing deer and flinging them over their backs and walking out with them....or a single man dragging off with a deer for what seems like a long ways. Id like to see them do any of that, with our mature deer here.
Same here, especially when you figure you are probably down in the bottom of a ravine, climbing over stumps and logging debris...
Fighting blackberries, devils club, and other snag-nasties...Even a small deer is a pain.
Although I did get a Whitetail one year over in Eastern Washington, dragged it straight down a grass slope to the road, that was a fond memory.
But my deer are usually a lucky diversion while elk hunting, and I have yet to meet anyone who can put an elk on their back whole...

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#15 Post by Captainkirk »

Carrying a deer over your shoulder is a good way to convert your ass into a pincushion around these parts.
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#16 Post by Shadowhntr »

Captainkirk wrote:Carrying a deer over your shoulder is a good way to convert your ass into a pincushion around these parts.
:lol: :lol: :lol: that too!!!

Im planning on mine being in smallish chunks, inside a clean plastic bag, inside a big butt military heavy canvas duffel bag, and strapped to my 2 wheel deer cart. Im thinking that beats over the shoulder whole deer carry any day of the week!!! :ugeek:

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#17 Post by Captainkirk »

Yes...I have not yet had the opportunity to christen my 'deer bicycle' yet.
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#18 Post by Shadowhntr »

Captainkirk wrote:Yes...I have not yet had the opportunity to christen my 'deer bicycle' yet.
I didnt even buy one until I had close to a 300lb buck on the ground, in 3/4 of a mile from the truck! I had Russ pick it up on his way to help me, since back then he was working at Academy Sports! Man that thing saved our rumps...i dont have any idea how we would have gotten him out otherwise.

I miss my ol private ground where I could drive right up to em....ugh. public ground is quite an adjustment in every way! ....:cry:

Return to “DIY section”