The storage shed project

For all the things we make ourselves for the outdoor world that are not covered in the other specific DIY area.
Ron Kulas

Re: The storage shed project

#16 Post by Ron Kulas »

That is what my wife said. If this were in Alaska, this would be a dwelling.
The Joy is in the doing.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#17 Post by Carpdaddy »

Did you build those trusses yourself or buy them? In this area they use a metal plate saving time, nails, and work. I like the plywood plates & braces better, just curious if they sell them that way there. Looks like it's braced well, should be there longer than most of us.

Ron Kulas

#18 Post by Ron Kulas »

I designed the trusses myself and built them myself. The plywood mending plates were installed with construction adhesive and nails. The metal mending plates are fine but I had lots of plywood pieces on hand.
The Joy is in the doing.

Ron Kulas

#19 Post by Ron Kulas »

Before we can shingle we have to install the metal drip edge. Before the metal drip edge is the final trim, before the final trim is the facia and soffit trim and none of that can be installed until more siding is installed so that where we focused our efforts next. Aside from hot dip galvanized nails, the sheets of fiber cement siding are also attached with construction adhesive. Then the first trim boards were installed along the roof line and all the seams between the sheets of cement board siding were caulked. While we were in trim mode we added some of the vert. corner trim and final roof edge trim pieces. Then all the trim was given two coats of exterior paint.

The Joy is in the doing.

Ron Kulas

#20 Post by Ron Kulas »

The metal drip edge is installed which means we are ready to start shingling the roof.

We look forward to the weekends because it affords a lot of time to work on the shed. The weather doesn’t care so we suffered a rain delay.

We looked out the window and saw the local inspector checking out the progress.

When everything dried up we build more temporary scaffolding so we can safely work on the roofing.

The hole in the roof for the vent.

The back side is complete.

Nice straight lines.

The Joy is in the doing.

Ron Kulas

#21 Post by Ron Kulas »

With the exception of the ridge cap, the front side of the roof is complete as the sun sets on another day.

The ridge cap is added the next morning and completes the roofing job.

Now that the roofing is complete the scaffolding is removed so the final wall can be closed in. The windows are the first thing to go in.

Then the last sheets of cement siding.

It’s starting to look like a shed now.
The Joy is in the doing.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#22 Post by Captainkirk »

Stay Sharp wrote:
It’s starting to look like a shed now.
It's starting to look like a HOUSE now.
Aim small, miss small!

Ron Kulas

#23 Post by Ron Kulas »

If momma aint happy...............

Ive learned long ago that the future owner of this house will care that the shed matches the house. Any additions I have done have been with that in mind. When I added the 2nd kitchen, it was for our use but the future owner will find value as well.

We plan to do some landscaping around the shed and she will have controlling opinion in regards to decorating the shed exterior (she already has seasonal decoration ideas in mind)

My wife is unable to work and is on SS and long term disability. This sort of thing helps occupy her days so I have no problems handing decoration over to her. She has a vision for this "tiny barn's" exterior. The crossbuck idea for the doors is hers so thats what it going to be. Its more work and will take longer but it will look better than plain and feature-less doors.
The Joy is in the doing.

Ron Kulas

#24 Post by Ron Kulas »

The fiber cement siding is very heavy which means the doors need to be stout so they won’t sag over time. The door framing is finished.

Tight joints, construction adhesive and long decking screws should keep the doors from sagging as time goes by.

To make the doors really strong and to tie it all together, the fiber cement siding is attached to the frames with construction adhesive and nails. The door frames are spaced and shimmed and held in place with big clamps so the siding can be added right in place to better control gaps and clearances.

The clean up crew grabbed the camera while we added the cement siding to one of the doors.

Then the entire door is removed and painted before the trim and hinges are added. The trim is painted too.

The Joy is in the doing.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#25 Post by Captainkirk »

Progress is a beautiful thing...
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “DIY section”