Deer season

Lowcountry

Deer season

#1 Post by Lowcountry »

Anybody started hunting yet? My season started August 15th. Hot. Humid. Snakey. But I made my (at least) 24th consecutive opening day Hunt. Saw a couple of yearling up close, but no bucks.

I hunted again this afternoon. I saw - 1 raccoon, 5 turkeys (a hen and 4 poults made a big loop twice), 3 or 4 deer (1 massive 3" spike in full velvet, and one yearling I could have literally dropped something on her head. All deer were in easy bow range), and a very curious hummingbird.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Deer season

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Nope, October 1st here. It was 93 deg. F here today...I wouldn't have hunted if the season was open!
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#3 Post by Graps »

Our deer season starts October 1st here in Michigan.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#4 Post by Carpdaddy »

September 1st here in Ky, but I’m going to miss opening day this year. There is a another big Trad bow shoot about an hour and a half away, planning to attend it. I can hunt till January 15th, the shoot is only one day.

Jaydogk9b

#5 Post by Jaydogk9b »

Like Graps said it is October for us. The last few years I haven't started the last week of October, or the first week of November because it has been too darn hot. I'm not a big fan of pouring sweet while trying to hold still.
Never fear a man with many wepons. Fear the man with only 1, for it is an extension of himself.

Shadowhntr

#6 Post by Shadowhntr »

September here.....although I've never hunted it. Like some others here, it's just too hot and buggy for me.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

stumper

#7 Post by stumper »

October 1st for us. However, I went to the WMA yesterday and shot on their 3d range and practiced setting and climbing in my treestand (with my harness and partner there). It was a great day!
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Elkman
Site Admin

#8 Post by Elkman »

Been hot here also. We have extremely high fire danger here in Western Montana again this year. There were 15 new fires last weekend alone here in the Bitterroot.

In the hunting district I live in we were able to start hunting antlerless Elk and antlerless Muledeer Aug 15 on private land only. Our general archery season starts Sept 1st until mid Oct. Our general rifle season starts Oct 20th and runs through the weekend after Thanksgiving.

Went up last Monday to set stands and a ground blind on private land that my neighbor and I have permission to hunt. We pulled up to the spot and there were about 20 to 30 Elk bedding all over the area we were going to place the blind and stands. We just backed out and let them be. Went back during their feeding time and set 2 stands and setup the blind. There were tracks everywhere. Looks promising!
Unfortunately on that piece of land we are about a 1/4 mile or less above the east boundary of the farmland 262 hunting district, so we'll have to wait till Sept 1st there.
So far here in 262 HD nothing but Bucks have been around steeling out strawberries.

little-buck-heading-to-strawberries.jpeg
little-buck-heading-to-strawberries.jpeg (106.57 KiB) Viewed 236 times

He is just one of 10 or more. There are 4 or so that are pretty respectable in size.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Jamesh76

#9 Post by Jamesh76 »

Elkman wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:34 pm Been hot here also. We have extremely high fire danger here in Western Montana again this year. There were 15 new fires last weekend alone here in the Bitterroot.

In the hunting district I live in we were able to start hunting antlerless Elk and antlerless Muledeer Aug 15 on private land only. Our general archery season starts Sept 1st until mid Oct. Our general rifle season starts Oct 20th and runs through the weekend after Thanksgiving.

Went up last Monday to set stands and a ground blind on private land that my neighbor and I have permission to hunt. We pulled up to the spot and there were about 20 to 30 Elk bedding all over the area we were going to place the blind and stands. We just backed out and let them be. Went back during their feeding time and set 2 stands and setup the blind. There were tracks everywhere. Looks promising!
Unfortunately on that piece of land we are about a 1/4 mile or less above the east boundary of the farmland 262 hunting district, so we'll have to wait till Sept 1st there.
So far here in 262 HD nothing but Bucks have been around steeling out strawberries.

little-buck-heading-to-strawberries.jpeg

He is just one of 10 or more. There are 4 or so that are pretty respectable in size.
Bitterroot huh? What city? I have hunted elk near Darby a couple times. Set camp at bobcat saddle and I think it's called deer lookout? Have a friend in Hanilton.

Elkman
Site Admin

#10 Post by Elkman »

I am in Corvallis. About 25 miles north of Darby and 10 miles north of Hamilton.

Deer Mountain lookout & bobcat saddle....Yes been going there for a long time.

Who's your friend in Hamilton?
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Return to “New Member Check In”