Hello from central Illinois

Hydropottimus

Re: Hello from central Illinois

#21 Post by Hydropottimus »

The limbs are rated on a 17" riser. I'm holding 47#on my fingers. I was really just asking in general though because I've passed on a couple 58"or shorter bows because I don't want to get something I can't shoot comfortably.

stumper

#22 Post by stumper »

There are a couple bows in 58” that state they can draw up to 32 with no stack. Slick stick being one of those. However when you shorten the bow you are always gonna
Increase angle on fingers. That being said we have a couple guys shooting pretty short bows on here. My draw is only 26 and I’ve been loving a couple of 66” inch bows.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#23 Post by Captainkirk »

I have bows of differing length, the longest being my Tamerlanes at 69" and the shortest being my K-Mag at 52". No real feel of 'stacking' on the K-Mag with my 29.5" DL, but as Dave mentioned, I'm aware of the string angle but it doesn't bother me.
Aim small, miss small!

Hydropottimus

#24 Post by Hydropottimus »

So if I find a bear kodiak 56" for under 200 bucks?..... my girlfriend is going to love this. :lol:

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#25 Post by Captainkirk »

Hydropottimus wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:01 am So if I find a bear kodiak 56" for under 200 bucks?..... my girlfriend is going to love this. :lol:
Suggestions; with your longer DL, you might look at the 58" Grizzly or 60" Kodiak Hunter. Both are very good bows and can be found very reasonable on the used market.
Aim small, miss small!

Elkman
Site Admin

#26 Post by Elkman »

Hydropottimus wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:10 am The limbs are rated on a 17" riser. I'm holding 47#on my fingers. I was really just asking in general though because I've passed on a couple 58"or shorter bows because I don't want to get something I can't shoot comfortably.
Oh okay, yeah taking limbs rated on a 17" riser will decrease the draw weight about 1# per inch that the riser increases in length. The limbs I made for Centaur Archery were also rated on a 17" riser.

With a Draw length of 32" you may run into issues with some bow designs. Most likely with some of the customs out there. The best advice I can give, generally if you can't talk to the manufacturer, is to watch the force draw curve. As the bow approaches the AMO rating in draw weight it may be gaining about 2 to 3 lbs per inch. If the draw weight increases in one inch more than 3+ to 3.5 lbs, IMO, its time to get concerned.

With the shorter bows, as a beginner, and with that long of a draw length, not only will you run into more finger pinch, as Dave mentioned, your release may not be as clean as it would be with longer bows and your accuracy might suffer. Since you already have options I would learn good form and a good release on what is most comfortable for you.

Sounds like you have the Tradbow fever and your collection is going to grow.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#27 Post by Captainkirk »

Elkman wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:53 am Oh okay, yeah taking limbs rated on a 17" riser will decrease the draw weight about 1# per inch that the riser increases in length. The limbs I made for Centaur Archery were also rated on a 17" riser.

With a Draw length of 32" you may run into issues with some bow designs. Most likely with some of the customs out there. The best advice I can give, generally if you can't talk to the manufacturer, is to watch the force draw curve. As the bow approaches the AMO rating in draw weight it may be gaining about 2 to 3 lbs per inch. If the draw weight increases in one inch more than 3+ to 3.5 lbs, IMO, its time to get concerned.

With the shorter bows, as a beginner, and with that long of a draw length, not only will you run into more finger pinch, as Dave mentioned, your release may not be as clean as it would be with longer bows and your accuracy might suffer. Since you already have options I would learn good form and a good release on what is most comfortable for you.

Listen to the Man of Elks for he knoweth that of which he speaketh.
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#28 Post by stumper »

Captainkirk wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:08 pm
Elkman wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:53 am Oh okay, yeah taking limbs rated on a 17" riser will decrease the draw weight about 1# per inch that the riser increases in length. The limbs I made for Centaur Archery were also rated on a 17" riser.

Listen to the Man of Elks for he knoweth that of which he speaketh.
Also while shorter bows are awesome and I am looking to get something ultra short soon, I hunt with a 66" bow out of a climbing treestand, so It is completely doable.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#29 Post by Captainkirk »

Oh, forgot to mention...his Elk Seeker bows are unbelievable. 8-)
Aim small, miss small!

White Falcon

#30 Post by White Falcon »

Welcome from Texas!

Return to “New Member Check In”