Tuning the archer to the bow

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
stumper

Tuning the archer to the bow

#1 Post by stumper »

Most of you all know that a little over a year ago I purchased a left handed bow from Jose. Even though I have shot right handed for the majority of my life I decided that I wanted to shoot left-handed because of my left dominant eye.

On a whim whether brilliant or foolish I purchased a high-dollar custom bow in a hand that I did not currently shoot. Around the same time I started shooting instinctively because I was tired of gapping and paying more attention to the gap between the tip of my arrow in the target then the actual sight of my arrow hitting what I was looking at. The instinctive shooting right-handed was very quick and my groups began to shrink within a week or two however left-handed I really struggled it to master basic things like form.

There were many days that I thought about giving up the left hand Adventure and even a month or more where I was so frustrated with my left-handed groups and my inconsistency that the bow just sat on the wall. It seemed like one day I couldn't miss and the next I couldn't hit but I had poured such an investment into the bow but I was determined to make it work.

Looking back over this last year I can certainly say that this was a true exercise in patience and while it is still not as comfortable for me to shoot left-handed I feel as though I could take game or shoot left-handed permanently if something were to happen to my right hand. I cannot tell you how many groups I shot that were so terrible that I dare not even post them. Now a year later I finally feel as though I'm achieving the most consistency I ever have from my left hand. I believe that I will continue to remain a predominantly right-handed shooter but in the end I'm actually happy that I took this adventure. As an added bonus it seems as though that one of my three children is left-handed and the idea of being able to teach him left-handed while shooting left-handed myself excites me. And hopefully one day he will shoot this wonderful bow as his own. When he is ready of course.

Just thought I would share. This group was shot from 24ish yards.
Attachments
IMG_02042019_221010_(600_x_600_pixel).jpg
IMG_02042019_221010_(600_x_600_pixel).jpg (129.78 KiB) Viewed 563 times
IMG_02042019_221015_(600_x_600_pixel).jpg
IMG_02042019_221015_(600_x_600_pixel).jpg (117.93 KiB) Viewed 563 times
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Graps

Re: Tuning the archer to the bow

#2 Post by Graps »

So did the dog hold the ring for you to shoot through? :?
Looks good to me.
Interesting thing for me with instinct shooting, I have a water bottle cap hanging in front of my target and that is my focal point.
I will casually shoot and not think about how accurate I do.
Then I get this feeling that I cant explain and if someone is shooting with me, I will call the shot.
And the next arrow will slam the bottle cap and sometimes it needs replaced.
But Dave, you might just understand what I'm talking about.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Elkman
Site Admin

#3 Post by Elkman »

You're doing pretty good there Dave. ;)
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

joe harrod1945

#4 Post by joe harrod1945 »

dave i know how it feels to shoot different hands.i started about 6 months ago i think.i am glad i did.i am working on some wood arrows right now.really enjoyed your arrow build THANKS.my shooting is coming along THANKS to moebow method form.these guys on here on know there stuff.especially the older bow hunters.good people great tradhunter web site.

stumper

#5 Post by stumper »

Oh yeah graps. I aim for old arrow holes. Yesterday alone I busted two nocks, which I'm convinced would have been Robin hoods had these spruce arrows not been so tough.

Joe what is the moebow method? I have never heard of it before. Glad I'm not the only one shooting with both hands.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

Moebow is Arne Moe, a coach who has a number of YT vids out. He is a pretty big gun over on Archery Talk.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=moebow
Aim small, miss small!

Lowcountry

#7 Post by Lowcountry »

I currently shoot Lefty, but I'm thinking of making a real effort at becoming proficient shooting right-handed. I am right-handed and right-eyed dominant, but switched to lefty due to a neck/nerve issue back in 2012. I was not really that proficient when I made the switch, but I have become pretty good shooting lefty in the last 7 years. I cant help but feel that if I can handle the draw weight, I should be able to shoot right handed better than shooting left-handed. I'm thinking real hard about getting a 40lb Black Hunter Long Bow. Maybe I just want an excuse to buy a new bow. lol! :mrgreen:

stumper

#8 Post by stumper »

Now your being honest. I would recommend owning the opposite hand bow to anyone.

Lawrence128

#9 Post by Lawrence128 »

I was born left handed, but forced into right handed writing when I went to school. (I already knew how to read and write because my mother taught me, but I was made to switch.). I've learned to do most things right handed because that is the way the world is designed. I shoot right handed. I have shot left though. My form stinks, but I could probably develop that. I have very little difference in my eye dominance though.

stumper

#10 Post by stumper »

These days I will shoot primarily right handed, but would not hesitate to pick up one of my leftys. Takes me a few warm up shots to switch and I'm good to go. I've done a few left handed hunts and when you dont see any deer it turns out just like a right handed hunt.

Return to “Practice/Training”