OH-vur-BOH

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: OH-vur-BOH

#21 Post by Captainkirk »

Shadowhntr wrote: Got more probs then that...spine is the big one. If kirk uses the tamerlane arrow for both bows, im going to say the 35lb bow will out penetrate the 55lb badlly. That arrow will loose all its energy out of the 55 being way to limber.
Tamerlane arrows are WAY too weak for the Sage...500 spine.
The cedars I was using on the Sage were 55-60 IIRC
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#22 Post by Shadowhntr »

Sorry cap, I'll try and keep it to bow draw weight. I get side tracked i know! Before I do, yes the tamerlane is legal here in Kansas. C'mon over, i'll hook you up on a weekend hunt. I hope you can use a climber?
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Shadowhntr

#23 Post by Shadowhntr »

graps wrote:The knights of the round table were sitting around discussing how heavy a bow a man should shoot .

Arthur said that it should be at least 80#

Lancelot said no less than 100#

This went on for a while and the they asked Percy what he thought ; he said " I find anything over 20# blows up my rubber tips . " :(

Did anyone else catch this? :lol: You are too funny Dale! Leave it to you! :lol: :lol:

Kybownut

#24 Post by Kybownut »

Shadowhntr wrote:
graps wrote:The knights of the round table were sitting around discussing how heavy a bow a man should shoot .

This went on for a while and the they asked Percy what he thought ; he said " I find anything over 20# blows up my rubber tips . " :(

Did anyone else catch this? :lol: You are too funny Dale! Leave it to you! :lol: :lol:
I done told you he ain't just right! Lol

Graps

#25 Post by Graps »

It really just boils down to male eago .
I used to shoot 80# back when I was in my late 20s .
I also was shooting 3 - 4 hours a day , so my muscles were in great shape .
I really enjoyed it when someone would try and shoot my bow .
Now my 60# bow has been hanging on the bow rack for about a year . Part of the reason is , I can't find 105# woods , but mostly because it isn't nessasary to have that much draw weight and it hurts my bow hand from the pressure caused by a medical issue .
I guess in my opinion , don't shoot to light of bow , whitch I feel is less than 40# for deer sized animals but if you can handle a heavy draw , please be honest with yourself and be sure you can make the shot .
Also , don't get hung up with the mathematics of the energy and realize this is traditional archery .
KISS ; Keep It Simple Stupid .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#26 Post by Captainkirk »

Shadowhntr wrote:

Don't feed the bears, Jason...... :?
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#27 Post by Shadowhntr »

Hahaha! Right.... :lol:

My first real bow was a Darton recurve, many many moons ago. Dad bought it for me when I as a tween. The bow was 30 lb draw. I had built up muscle before that with a lil 20lb "toy" bow, but the jump did make me struggle a lil while. I had it a few years and hunted small game....in fact my first experience of killing with instinct was a rabbit in a brushy timber. He hopped out in the one clear spot around me at 15-20 yards. I pulled on him and shot, and the arrow went in one eye and out the other and skidded across the ground and i found it stuck in a 10 inch tree at the base. I about couldn't get it out!

Anyway fast forward several years. My next bow was a 50lb recurve. I shot it a ton that first season. I was good enough out to 15 yards to be deadly on deer. I choose a plain old school carbon arrow, with a bear razorhead lite to shoot. On the ground, I shot a big doe at 7-10 yards and made a perfect hit. Instantly I worried though, because the arrow stopped way short of full penetration and a lot of arrow still stuck out on the entrance side. I did recover her, but the arrow didnt make it through the other side at all. At the time, I blamed my bow for being insufficient. So I saved my money, and bought a 56 lb black widow recurve. When I did, Ken Beck taught me about arrow tuning and weight. I went to a xx75 2216, and shot bear razorhead, and 2 blade snuffers. I killed only a few deer with it before i ruined my lower limb with an idiot move. But it still was lacking complete penetration i was hoping for on those deer. So i bought another set of limbs. This time, 52lb limbs, because my arm was starting to feel it. I killed a ton of deer over the years with that bow, but I still had to limit myself to broadside only shots, because of bad experiences trying to take quartering away shots. I wasnt getting good enough penetration for that. I should have bought a heavier bow limb right? I came to realize my old 50lb martin i had deemed insufficient, was just set up wrong. So I rigged up some 2018 xx75 for it. It shot and killed deer the same way as the 56 and 52 lb widow.... broadside only....still lacking about the same in penetration on animals. With those 2 bows I filled the freezer every year for years. But now and again I'd still not be happy with the penetration, and i was limited to broadside no matter what.. My shoulders started giving out by then, and could no longer shoot. I was afraid to drop poundage because of my already being unhappy with the heavier bows performance and felt it would just get worse with a lighter bow. So i quite shooting and hunting deer for a number of years. My sons getting interested in archery deer hunting put me back into the market. I done a ton of research on making light bows effective. I now own a 40lb recurve, two 45lb recurves, a 42lb longbow, and a 45lb longbow. I can shoot any one of those bows for hours, numerous times a week without any arm or shoulder problems. As a result, im shooting more accurately then I ever have. There is not a single bow i have that wont put an arrow completely through a deer, even quartering away. Several of these bows I picked up for chump change....and they still do better on deer for penetration then my 56lb black widow and that old set up did. Not the bows fault,,,,, i learned. But i certainly dont think i could shoot that strong of a bow for the hours it takes to get really good. My shoulder already said no once. Im 100% confident in my sissy bows, and pain free...and deer have no longer been safe in my woods.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#28 Post by Captainkirk »

Now that's EXACTLY what I'm talking about!
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#29 Post by Graps »

Jason , I learned a lesson about fletching v penitration .
I for the past several years have been fletching my hunting arrows with 5 1/2" parabolics or bananas .
The reason for this , your arrow will stabilize quicker so it hits straight on at close range .
Why do I do this ?
Abouty 25 years ago I shot a small doe at around 8 feet and the arrow cut 4 ribs and only got one lung .
This happened because the arrow hit almost sideways .
I've not had bad penitration till then . Then a while later I was reading an article about pig hunting and the author liked the big fletching because pig hunting is quite often thick brush and close range .
:idea: ah ha ! I get it .
Just because you are tuned good there still is archers paradox and while hunting the perfect form and release are not always there .
As far as speed , at 20 yards or less , your not going to notice the difference .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Graps

#30 Post by Graps »

I am going to add another bit of interesting to me , that I was shown .
I mentioned earlier about the fact that I have trouble finding 105# spine arrows in wood .
I was at the archery shop shooting and the owner came up to me with some woods and had me shoot them with my 60# Bear Takedown .
They shot good , no fishtailing at all and right in the target .
He then told me that they were 85# spine and they had 5 1/2" parabolics on them .
That even more convinced me about the big feathers .

I know......
Tune your arrows right the first time!!!......

But I also will add....
The more I learned about doing archery correctly , the worse I shot .

Return to “Practice/Training”