I got spanked!

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

I got spanked!

#1 Post by Carpdaddy »

:lol: :lol: No it wasn't on the shooting course at Tradfest, remember I was shooting with Steve and Mark! :lol: :lol: Here's the situation: I have been wrestling with my last bow since I finished it trying to get it to shoot what it should. I have been having to shoot a spine that should be far too stiff for my 42# bow. I finally before Tradfest got it to shoot a 29" Carbon Express 150 with 175 grain up front pretty well. Those are just a tad stiffer than a 500 spine. I felt it was doing okay and did pretty good on the course, at least it appeared that way shooting with my partners. :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: Sorry I'm just trying to get them on here to defend themselves, I know Steve peeps in here sometimes. Anyhow enough of that. Before leaving I went to Big Jim's tent to pick me up a dozen arrows and that's where I got spanked! I laid them on the counter and ask the fellow behind the table to cut them off to 29". As he was opening them he randomly ask what poundage I was shooting. When I said 42 he stopped and looked me in the eye and said I'll do what you want but your wasting money buying an arrow that is far too stiff at 29". Well you all know the effort I have put into this thing already. I told him I use a lot of weight up front, he didn't seem to think I could get enough up front for that. While I was trying to explain myself and what all I had done he says just give me a minute. He walks over and grabs a fletched 600 spine, puts an insert in while I'm trying to tell him it will be too weak, grabs a 200 grain point, and puts it on the full length 31.5" 600 spine arrow. Then he said just take this arrow out and shoot it some then come back and tell me how smart or dumb I am! Anyone care to guess what spine I left with?

Shadowhntr

Re: I got spanked!

#2 Post by Shadowhntr »

150/500, of course!!!!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

Well that was still my decision but I got to thinking on my way back to the tent, I have 10 good 500 spine heavy hunter arrows already, and that 600 spine did fly pretty well, so the 600's came home. All I can guess is that they must be hitting my shelf and giving false readings. In light of that I took out those heavy hunters (500 spine) this evening and loaded the end up to 300 grain! And yes they are flying better! Did best though with 275 grain up front on a 30" 500 spine arrow. :geek: A lot more testing to do but I'm learning. The bareshaft arrows always show weak though, got to be my release. More testing to come, I picked up some weight tubes also for five bucks, testing with and without.

stumper

#4 Post by stumper »

Carpdaddy wrote:Well that was still my decision but I got to thinking on my way back to the tent, I have 10 good 500 spine heavy hunter arrows already, and that 600 spine did fly pretty well, so the 600's came home. All I can guess is that they must be hitting my shelf and giving false readings. In light of that I took out those heavy hunters (500 spine) this evening and loaded the end up to 300 grain! And yes they are flying better! Did best though with 275 grain up front on a 30" 500 spine arrow. :geek: A lot more testing to do but I'm learning. The bareshaft arrows always show weak though, got to be my release. More testing to come, I picked up some weight tubes also for five bucks, testing with and without.
Never stop learning. That's awesome!
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Return to “Practice/Training”