Practice shot numbers

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Shadowhntr

Re: Practice shot numbers

#46 Post by Shadowhntr »

What would happen if the coils were pre marked somehow for different yardage?

I don't know if that's possible, I literally know little to nothing about SW other then bits and pieces I get off here.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#47 Post by Captainkirk »

Shadowhntr wrote:What would happen if the coils were pre marked somehow for different yardage?

I don't know if that's possible, I literally know little to nothing about SW other then bits and pieces I get off here.
That might work. The key with SW is you need to shoot 3 under...and I'd rather not. Just a personal thing. My son shifted to 3U on his trad bow and says he'll never go back. Ahh, youth! :roll: I could probably learn a lot from him...
Aim small, miss small!

Longbowfanatic

#48 Post by Longbowfanatic »

Shadowhntr wrote:What would happen if the coils were pre marked somehow for different yardage?

That could work for sure. I shot with a national champion bare bow archer over the winter and he has his finger tab pre-marked with the distances. The markings are a hash mark with the number associated with that distance. All he has to do is lay his tab under the arrow nock, place his thumb on the string for that yardage, slide down the string and shoot the shot. Much faster than counting stitches.

Kirk, you're right. SW'ing is mostly a 3-d, tournament technique. Done as described above, I think it could work for hunting. The problem I would have is the concern of de-tuning the arrow as I crawl the string, not to mention that for mid-west whitetail deer hunting I only shoot 15 yards and in.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#49 Post by Captainkirk »

Longbowfanatic wrote:
Kirk, you're right. SW'ing is mostly a 3-d, tournament technique. Done as described above, I think it could work for hunting. The problem I would have is the concern of de-tuning the arrow as I crawl the string, not to mention that for mid-west whitetail deer hunting I only shoot 15 yards and in.
Right. This is why a fixed crawl works so well for hunting. It's generally dead-nuts up to around 40 yards.
Clay Hayes did an excellent job of explaining the fixed crawl in his film "The Push" (now posted in the Video Vault)
Aim small, miss small!

Longbowfanatic

#50 Post by Longbowfanatic »

Captainkirk wrote:
Longbowfanatic wrote:
Right. This is why a fixed crawl works so well for hunting. It's generally dead-nuts up to around 40 yards.
Clay Hayes did an excellent job of explaining the fixed crawl in his film "The Push" (now posted in the Video Vault)
Clay Hayes is The Man! Love his videos!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#51 Post by Captainkirk »

"The Push" is a long film, but well worth the hour or so spent. I like the way Clay just presents the info but doesn't try to shove it down your throat or convince you one way is better than another. He laid out how a fixed crawl works so that it was totally understandable, where other guys left me confused.
Aim small, miss small!

Longbowfanatic

#52 Post by Longbowfanatic »

Captainkirk wrote:"The Push" is a long film, but well worth the hour or so spent. I like the way Clay just presents the info but doesn't try to shove it down your throat or convince you one way is better than another. He laid out how a fixed crawl works so that it was totally understandable, where other guys left me confused.

The first person I ever heard discuss the fixed crawl was Jimmy Blackmon. I've been using it ever since. Great aiming system for guys who shoot like I do.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#53 Post by Captainkirk »

I like Jimmy a lot. I'm going to be posting some of his videos in the Vault as well as his son's "Nailed it!" videos with a link to the new Youth section. Every kid needs to watch those!
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Practice/Training”