The Push/Fixed Crawl

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Jamesh76

The Push/Fixed Crawl

#1 Post by Jamesh76 »

I am sure most of you have likely seen this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E1vKkSSoNs

I have watched it a couple of times. Might just give it a try and see what its all about. I started out traditional archery around 2006 and I was shooting 3 under. I was fairly consistent with it shooting instinctive but never great. The first few deer I drew back on, I found myself grabbing the string split finger. I couldn't break the habit when it was time for a shot. So I started practicing split shooting instinctive and have had pretty good success with it. I messed around with gap shooting but it just didn't fit my style. I'm interested in fixed crawl and wonder how it will work for me. Anyone have experience with it?

Graps

Re: The Push/Fixed Crawl

#2 Post by Graps »

Shooting split instinctive is much less to think about.
Dacota18 shoots fixed crawl and he loves it. Maybe he might post on here and give his opinion.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Dakota18

#3 Post by Dakota18 »

I’ve been shooting with a fixed crawl for about three years now. I used to shoot 3 under and even went as far as flying down to Arkansas and shooting with Rick Welch at his shooting school. I’ve won my share of local shoots and killed quite a few white tails but was never totally satisfied with my shooting.
Like so many trad shooters when I started out about 30 years ago I was under the impression that you had to shoot totally instinctive. I started wondering how all the ibo tournament shooters shot so accurately and found out they all have their own aiming system usually some kind of gap shooting. About three years ago I came across the push shooting video and that changed everything.

I’ve been shooting with a fixed crawl every since. My set up is with my Dakota 45# bow. I have a bear rest on the shelf and nock about 5/8” about the rest. My crawl is about 1 1/4” below that which gives me a 20 yard point on. 5-10-15 yards a just aim about 4” low. It does take your bow out of tiller that’s why a lot of guys shoot the ILF bows so that they can adjust tiller.
It has increased my consistency but a lot and I’ve taken multiple deer and even a black bear while hunting with graps in Quebec since switching to this style.

Jamesh76

#4 Post by Jamesh76 »

So does it take the non ilf bows out of tiller so much its hard to tune an arrow?

what is your tuning process? I would likely do a 25 yard crawl.

I like glover over tab though. Wondering if it would be difficult getting fingers in the same position with the glove. it appears almost everyone who uses this method uses a tab. I have one, just don't care for it.

Dakota18

#5 Post by Dakota18 »

Glove or tab will work. I does take my bow out of tiller some but the elevated rest helps with that. You can set your crawl at any distance you want. I bare shaft to tune.

stumper

#6 Post by stumper »

Really interesting stuff guys. Though I just transitioned to instinctive shooting and am loving it. Definitely watching the videos though.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

I dabbled with it briefly after viewing "The Push". I love the concept, but just not comfortable with 3 under. Not sure why, probably because I'm stubborn and cranky.
Aim small, miss small!

Longtrad

#8 Post by Longtrad »

The idea sounds cool but i havent messed with yet, I like shooting split but I tend to shoot 3 under better, I think because I have a tendency to torque the string a little with a split hook.

idk about the glove vs tab but it seems most target shooters use a tab so there must be some advantage there.

joe harrod1945

#9 Post by joe harrod1945 »

The young shooters out there you have more information than i did so peck the method best for you an stick to it.Make your form the most important in your practice an every thing else will fall in place.When you start to shoot better then you start to shoot worst go back to your form.Because that is where it is.There is no such thing as perfect form some people think they perfect form but they do not.No one method for shooting is perfect.FORM,FORM,FORM.Too much switching around methods can mess you up.

Return to “Practice/Training”