My homemade moose target

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
dhaverstick

My homemade moose target

#1 Post by dhaverstick »

I'm going moose hunting in British Columbia the first week of October so I built a moose target last week to start practicing on. This one is very similar to the one I built for my 2015 moose hunt. The body of the target was cut from a 3/4" 4'x6' rubber horse stall mat and the vitals section was cut from a 2" thick piece of 6-pound closed cell foam. At work I have access to lots of high-dollar modeling software so I put the stuff to good use to make the pattern for my target. I basically traced around a moose photo showing the vitals and scaled it up to life size. My target stands 6' 6" tall at the top of the hump. It's a chore to wrassle around and set up but I think the practice will pay off.

Darren

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: My homemade moose target

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Wow...NICE! Betcha a full size commercial moose target is 500 bucks or more! That should do just fine!
Aim small, miss small!

dhaverstick

#3 Post by dhaverstick »

Captainkirk wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:01 am Wow...NICE! Betcha a full size commercial moose target is 500 bucks or more! That should do just fine!
Kirk, add a couple grand to that number and you are getting in the ballpark.

Darren

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/rinehar ... arget.html

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

Yowzah! :shock:
Aim small, miss small!

White Falcon

#5 Post by White Falcon »

As usual, very nice work!

Graps

#6 Post by Graps »

Neat setup. :P
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Grizzly

#7 Post by Grizzly »

I love it. Realistic practice will help.

Can't you just imagine the calls coming into the local police and Mo. Dept of Conservation?

Someone did something terrible to this moose I saw back on Dave's property.

I remember when the Rhinehart 100 was held here in Central Illinois. It was so cool to drive by and see this giraffe towering above all the vegetation and trees back in this farm field.
I wonder how many locals who didn't know what the shoot was all about got all exited seeing a giraffe in the back 60.

I almost forgot. We were shooting the African side of the Rhinehart 100 with some friends and my Grandson when my phone rings. I've got the ringer up on high cause I don't hear so good. My ringtone - honestly, this wasn't planned - was the Tarzan yell. :roll: Everyone was laughing so hard, no one could shoot. It was great.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Elkman
Site Admin

#8 Post by Elkman »

Very nice Darren!
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Return to “Practice/Training”