Interesting drill

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
stumper

Interesting drill

#1 Post by stumper »

I came up with a drill today. I'll say ahead of time that I know this in no way represents a hunting situation.

The drill 8 inch or smaller target to simulate a deer's vitals. Pick your max bow hunting distance. For me it was 25 yards and shoot 20 groups of 5 arrows or 100 shots. If it's on the line it counts as in, if its touching it's in. How many did you get? For me it was 83 of 100 shots.

What this could be used for? I dont really know. It could be used to build stamina, maybe it could tell you if you are over bowed. Maybe just maybe it could tell you your form is consistent or inconsistent. Perhaps even it could tell you that you could extend your range or maybe that you should wait for a closer shot. Just thought I'd throw it out there for you all. Last thing take a picture of your last group. Is it better or worse than your first?

Have fun.
Attachments
My last group
My last group
20191107_143611_compress24.jpg (185.06 KiB) Viewed 653 times
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Interesting drill

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

My groups generally start out pretty good but as fatigue sets in, I start getting wild flyers...
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#3 Post by stumper »

First 50 I was 45/50 on the black diamond area. Back half deteriorated immediately but then I rallied my focus and concentration. The picture is my last group.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

That's darn good shooting, Dave.
Aim small, miss small!

Elkman
Site Admin

#5 Post by Elkman »

Yes, very good shooting Dave.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Grizzly

#6 Post by Grizzly »

Being able to focus is extremely important as is practicing focus under various conditions. The opposite of good focus is flinging arrows. That's the last thing you want to do hunting, but it can happen if your focus is on something else and not where you want that arrow to go. Or, worse yet, no focus.

I had one buck show himself about 40 to 50 yards or more from me. He very cautiously peeked around the corner of this field edge from cover. Every move he made was slower and more deliberate than any "still hunter" could ever manage. This guy was Mr. Slow Motion. By the time he offered a broadside, my focus had gone to sleep 10 minutes prior and I launched one over his back. I knew right away that I hadn't gathered myself back together from the long, long wait on this one. To make things worse, he was a really nice one - even exceptional.

The real kick in the butt came when I decided to get down off my stand and try to find my arrow. Sure enough, just as my back was to him on the ladder, he comes back in a perfect broadside and with a buddy. oh well, another great day in the woods and a new memory.

https://www.amazon.com/Shots-Whitetails ... 0873418654
This is a book written in the late 1940's and from an area of the Catskill Mountains in upstate NY where Dad and I hunted in my youth. I wasn't allowed to hunt deer with Dad until I read it. Dad had one of the early editions which I wish I had today. I ordered one of these when I saw it had been reprinted just for old times sake. My father was really good at still hunting which is probably frowned on today. Most hunters just move the deer around when they try it but when you practice it, it's almost like a meditation on your feet as your awareness level is heightened beyond what you normally experience.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

Some great insights, Craig!
'Shots at Whitetails' is one of the 'must-read' books for any hunter. I did not know it was back in print.

As far as flinging arrows...you are correct...however; one benefit that flinging does bring to the table is through repetitive muscle memory, which is also pretty crucial during that time when you are setting up for the shot but your mind is whirling like a cyclone.
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#8 Post by stumper »

Great wisdom Craig I'll have to read it.

Return to “Practice/Training”