Black Powder-the Trad Archery of Guns

Anything that has Nothing to do with archery!
Forum rules
No political rants, discussion or arguing.
Grizzly

Re: Black Powder-the Trad Archery of Guns

#131 Post by Grizzly »

Oh, you would have loved the steel buffalo shoots we had locally back in the late 80's. It was only for rimmed cartridges, so it was mostly 45-70 and all the variants. The most accurate shooters had equipment like yours complete with blow tubes and whatever else they did between shots. Their rear sights were like treasured jewels. I entered lever action class with that Canadian Centennial 30-30 reproduction with the 26" octagonal barrel and a receiver sight. I wish my Grandpa had not let go of his 30-40 Krag he'd brought home from the Spanish American War as part of an all volunteer Regiment out of NYC. It was a rimmed cartridge along with the British .303 which occasionally showed up, and they stood a chance at knocking the buffalo over.

We had a 200 yard range and all the old steel silhouette targets along with much larger steel buffalo targets that my 30-30 never did knock down. You shot at 1 chicken, 1 pig, 1 turkey, 1 ram and 1 buffalo, all at 200 yards with 5 shots, one for each from the standing, kneeling, sitting and prone. Out of all the events I've participated in, I think that was the most fun. Once a friend showed up with a .348 Winchester lever gun and let me shoot it. Some of the Ruger #1's would show up in 45-70.

Yours is a beauty. Enjoy
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#132 Post by Captainkirk »

Graps wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:41 pm Ooooo, that's nice.
A few month ago I almost dropped $4000.00 on a Sharps with Vernier Tang site.
Then you would probably puke if you knew what I stole this one for... :?

'course, I waited nearly 50 years to own a Sharps. Wanted one since I was 10 years old.
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#133 Post by Captainkirk »

Grizzly wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:00 pm Oh, you would have loved the steel buffalo shoots we had locally back in the late 80's. It was only for rimmed cartridges, so it was mostly 45-70 and all the variants.
Sounds like a blast! (pun intended) Hoping to "reach out and touch" some steel with this 'un.
Grizzly wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:00 pm Some of the Ruger #1's would show up in 45-70.
Yours is a beauty. Enjoy
I also have a gorgeous Browning High Wall in .45/70 that I shoot smokeless and jacketed bullets from. A real sweetheart.
Aim small, miss small!

Grizzly

#134 Post by Grizzly »

Years ago I thought maybe it would be nice to have a 45-70. Studied the loads but then what would I do with it in Illinois, other than shoot it at the range. Then one day at a large, old time lgs, a Safari Grade Winchester .458 Magnum showed up on the used rack. I forget whether it had express sights or simple iron sights, but that thing came to the shoulder and pointed so perfectly. Now there was no way I'd ever come up with the money for Africa and I doubt the Buffalo are coming back to Illinois any time soon, so I just drooled for a while until I finally got it out of my head.

But a Browning Hi Wall, in 45-70 sweet. Honey, look at my new squirrel gun... 8-)
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#135 Post by Captainkirk »

While not strictly a black powder rifle, it was developed as one originally, for the Henry .44 Rimfire cartridge. I intend to start out loading light smokeless rounds for this one, chambered in .44-40 WCF, but the call of the Black is strong, and I may wind up shooting BP in this sooner or later:

Designed on the original Henry action, the Winchester '66 used the same receiver as the Henry, but instead of loading the cartridges into the magazine tube from the muzzle end and having the follower chase your hand down the barrel as cartridges were being fed, the new Nelson King loading gate allowed cartridges to be loaded from the receiver end and also allowed for a forearm stock to be fitted...a great advancement probably most appreciated after popping off ten quick rounds at some marauding savages (those barrels get hot, hot, hot, baby!) All in all, this is a gorgeous rifle and handles like a sports car! Can't wait to load up a couple hundred handloads and trek off to the range for an afternoon of fun.
Aim small, miss small!

Grizzly

#136 Post by Grizzly »

Really Nice. Nothing like putting one through it's paces at a well run Cowboy shoot. You've got plenty of single action pistols, Now you need a short double or a 1897 Winchester. Oh, I could have bought a very late production model once for fair money. I love hammer guns. But, these old timers sometimes need a trained hand to keep them working. Most older '97's need to be rebuilt.

Remember to keep it on your shoulder as you rip through a row of tin cans or plates.

stumper

#137 Post by stumper »

Beaut right there kirk. I need another lever gun in my life. Henry makes a lever. 410 I've been looking at.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#138 Post by Captainkirk »

Thanks, guys. I really like this thing and should be reloading for it very soon. Having a brass receiver, I intend to keep the loads light, down in the Cowboy velocities.
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#139 Post by Captainkirk »

stumper wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:13 am Beaut right there kirk. I need another lever gun in my life. Henry makes a lever. 410 I've been looking at.
Dave, I see New Henry now is offering a rifle with a feature that allows either traditional loading (from the feed tube end as with all other Henry's) or from the receiver...King-style loading gate. That was my biggest beef with New Henry; I don't like dropping large caliber shells down a long feed tube.
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#140 Post by Captainkirk »

The '66 pictured above was manufactured in 1978 and imported by Navy Arms. Inspection of it makes me believe it's never been fired.
Gonna fix that, pronto!
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”