Primitive Louisiana.

Anything that has Nothing to do with archery!
Forum rules
No political rants, discussion or arguing.
stumper

Re: Primitive Louisiana.

#21 Post by stumper »

Captainkirk wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:52 am
stumper wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:02 am In all honesty, we were not planning on crimping. My buddy and I have been loading the 45 colt out of a heavy 7.5 inch barrel blackhawk for about a year now. We have never crimped a round (we are not shooting the hottest loads the round is capable of) and have never experience a bullet moving.
You might be surprised. It's often hard to tell on a revolver as there is usually a lot of extra length in the cylinder bore, and unless a problem is encountered, one usually loads and shoots all of them without pulling them out to notice any anomalies. I always crimp my .44M rounds for my Super Blackhawk, but I only use the TC die on plated bullets (i.e. Berry's or Ranier) as the Lee FC die causes problems for me unless there is a crimping cannelure present (as in the XTP or your hard cast lead bullets, for example). Either way, I don't anticipate any issues in a single shot rifle without crimping so it's a moot point.

I have lee dies at the moment. I have the space for it on my loader but it is Will's setup so I am not sure why we do not have the crimp. I have actually shot 5 and measured the sixth round with a micrometer and not detected any bullet movement, not to say it could not happen. I have been wanting to spring for a RCBH setup but that will be further down the road.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Primitive Louisiana.

#22 Post by Captainkirk »

FWIW...I've noticed over the years that without fail, reloading gear prices continue to climb.
I've scored big-time lately by watching MidwayUSA's sales (on their notification list) and frequent free shipping deals.
Just today I received my Lyman Postell mould for my Sharps. The mould and handles are both on sale (savings of $25.00) and there was free shipping until the end of the month ($10.00) so all told, I saved $35.00. Well worth it...nearly half the total cost.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”