Power of Prayers

This forum is for sharing all your prayers for family and fellow members of the traditional archery community.
Forum rules
Prayers and concerns involving members families and friends.
Ole Dave

Power of Prayers

#1 Post by Ole Dave »

I surely don't want to come across like the Church Lady on ole Sat. Nite Live, but on another site that shall remain nameless, there were folks years back who held my head up when I thought I'd go under, and while that site's prayer forum is a bit light of late, I still feel the need to "pay it forward".

In my years there, I've seen many things that defy medical science happen which I choose to believe was thru the power of prayer.

I have a long, long way to go in my Walk, (and a short time to get there I fear) but while HE isn't done with me yet, I sure want to try my best while here...

So I decided to fire up a post to see if it's well accepted here...

Thanksgiving is on the horizon, and I admit there is so much I Have to be thankful for and yet, too often, stumble focused on that which I want and do not have...

Anyway, just a testament to the fact I will commit here and now to be responsive to any / all prayer requests and I"ve clicked the box to notify me...

Keep the Son in your eyes and stay safe out there this season!
All we have and call our own, once belonged to someone else, and will again. Our purpose here is not to serve ourselves.

Bigfoot SAS LB (47# LB limbs 38# Semi Static RC limbs)

Couple of old Bear bows

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Power of Prayers

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Don't know about anyone else, Dave...but it's very well accepted by me.
On another trad forum I belong to they have a very, very deep section (forum) that goes by "Christian Fellowship Forum".
A lot of amazing stuff, not just prayers or answers to them, have come out of that particular forum. I've learned a lot there. So, I have no objections myself.
Many forums tend to disallow the discussion of politics or religion; they are touchy subjects and can cause a lot of argument, dissension and hard feelings IF the participants can't act like adults, so I understand that viewpoint. However, I find it interesting how many archery/hunting forums actually have a thread or forum dedicated to prayers...this one included.
That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#3 Post by stumper »

I have seen the power of prayer and attempt to cloak myself in it daily. I appreciate your comments Dave, and I can always use prayers for safety.
Thanks
D
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Gamestalker

#4 Post by Gamestalker »

I'm a firm believer in the power of prayer & here's a hunting story from five years ago, directly related to the power of prayer....

I never even squeezed the trigger during Pennsylvania's regular firearms season.

Thursday 12/29/2011
It's now Pennsylvania's flintlock season.
I found a spot in the woods for the afternoon sit. At about 3:25, I saw movement out in front of me up thru some hemlock bottoms. It was traveling from left to right. Then it turned toward me. When it came out of the hemlocks I could see that it was a doe. I had two doe tags to fill, so I waited until she was about 15 yards away & I squeezed the trigger. She bounded once to the left & then cart-wheeled back to the right where she went down in a heap. I stood up, reloaded and checked the time. It was 3:31..... Plenty of legal hunting time left yet & I still had a buck tag & another doe tag left, so I sat back down. After I shot the doe & settled back down to wait for the next one, I said a prayer of thanks & also said in that prayer that it would really be great if I could get a nice buck too. Several minutes later, I saw movement up in the hemlock bottoms again. Another deer was coming. This time, when it cleared the hemlocks, I saw antlers. The buck started toward me like the doe had, but then he turned to my right. He was going around me at about 40 yards out. I made a noise to stop him. He paused, but not long enough for me to get a shot off. I made the noise again & he stopped again. This time I was able to make the shot. The buck turned & started trotting away. I thought that I had missed. Then he stumbled & disappeared in the distance. I reloaded & went to look for sign of a hit. It didn't take long to find a good blood trail. I cautiously followed the blood trail, half expecting to jump him up. About 60 to 70 yards later, I found the buck piled up between two down trees. Time for another prayer of thanks!
Two deer down in ten minutes.... I Had a Good Day.

Ole Dave

#5 Post by Ole Dave »

Cool Story, AL. Thanks for the affirmation you other two... :)

I once shot two deer with a bow...last day of our archery season...shot a doe about 11... she turned slightly down hill and I got one lung and liver...she ran up and lay down instantly, and I could stand on tip toes in my tree stand and see her. A few young ones ran by and she got up and crested the hill and unknown to me, fell again directly. PA had just switched to saying you didn't have to remove one deer or tag it to shoot another, so I too sat down since she needed time to expire.

Along comes a buck and I shot him... then I heard a ruckus and look behind me to see her belly flopping down the hill where she went into the death throes...

Trouble was, it was mid November but it started turning warm! I hustled, got my stand down and way, got my deer cart and brought the doe out, then the buck...they were both stiff by then.

Trying to gut them was like, "LAUREL AND HARDY" routine...one leg would slide up past my knee and swat me upside the head!

It was a circus for sure..I vowed right then, and I was a number of years younger, I'd never shoot 2 deer hunting alone in the woods again!
All we have and call our own, once belonged to someone else, and will again. Our purpose here is not to serve ourselves.

Couple of old Bear bows

Shadowhntr

#6 Post by Shadowhntr »

I accept and know the power granted to us in prayer. What is it, that a son is afraid to ask his father for? What is it the father wont give if at all possible? Sometimes I think we are afraid to ask for things that are beyond our expectations. He is after all, our Father.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Ole Dave

#7 Post by Ole Dave »

Jason,

It's been said often the hardest thing is to forgive oneself.

I personally struggle with my awareness of my own fallibility, and trying doesn't improve it and I often feel unworthy to ask given that my own level of faith-based sacrifice is so small..

Couple of old Bear bows

Shadowhntr

#8 Post by Shadowhntr »

Brother, we didnt make the sacrifice or spill the blood for atonement of our sins. It was God Himself in the person of Jesus Christ. His sacrifice was perfect, and his blood was perfect atonement, and His resurrection was perfect unto new life. Which part of any of that, wasnt enough to satisfy our God, and to provide a forgiven and new life for all those who seek it, and trust in all He freely provided us? No sin, or sinner, is big or bad enough to nullify His work or loom greater then His blood. Thats the beauty of Christ in us and us in Him, is its all what He has done, not what we do. As God looks upon us (who accept His blood atonement for our sin and His work in resurrection for life, and simply take hold of it by faith in believing it was meant for us personally), all He see's is His Son Jesus. When we pray, He sees His Son Jesus. Our pathetic lives matter not, but being in Christ Jesus and thus in His name, we are seen as perfect by the Father, or we would still be doomed. Jesus said it is finished. That means there is nothing more that needs to be done. Now, its all ours, by His Grace through simple faith. The ability to ask in prayer to God our Father, was freely given to us by Jesus finished work , or we couldnt even rightfully stand before Him in prayer to begin with. Dont let guilt rob you of your relationship with Him, it hinders Gods work in us. Thats why its important to admit our faults to Him, (and one another) so our conscience dont cause us to avoid God, and break our communing with Him. He forgave ALL our sins when we put our faith in Him and His work on the cross and in His resurrection ....thats ALL sin...past, present, and future.

Ole Dave

#9 Post by Ole Dave »

Amen to all that Jason...but it also says we're to become more like Christ thru dying to self.

I know I've not done that to His desired level...I wallow in selfish desires and flawed thinking...forgiveness is mine, but faith without works is dead...and the work is to strive to be more like Jesus, yes?

We can banter this till we die yet none of us have an inside track... it is all predicated on faith and faith is believing that which cannot be seen nor proven...

When we stand before Christ on the other side, we will then know all and become like Him. Until then, our work might be to strive to shed our sinful nature and become a living sacrifice...

Couple of old Bear bows

Shadowhntr

#10 Post by Shadowhntr »

Ole Dave wrote:Amen to all that Jason...but it also says we're to become more like Christ thru dying to self.

I know I've not done that to His desired level...I wallow in selfish desires and flawed thinking...forgiveness is mine, but faith without works is dead...and the work is to strive to be more like Jesus, yes?

We can banter this till we die yet none of us have an inside track... it is all predicated on faith and faith is believing that which cannot be seen nor proven...

When we stand before Christ on the other side, we will then know all and become like Him. Until then, our work might be to strive to shed our sinful nature and become a living sacrifice...
Indeed.

As pertaining to dying to ones self, if you feel led by God to do so, check out a Christian book by evangelist Watchman Nee called, "The Normal Christian Life". It covers the deep truths of being dead to ones self.

Return to “Prayers”