Painted arrows

History of Archery and collecting antique and collectible Traditional Archery supplies.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing the history of archery. The collecting of antique and collectible traditional archery items. Not for selling items or trading. Not for selling items you manufactured unless you are a sponsor.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Painted arrows

#31 Post by Captainkirk »

Update:
Just placed an order with 3Rivers for some solid orange Marco snap-on nocks, and 4" black and orange feathers. The feathers on these arrows peel right off, leaving a thin line of quill that is easily removed with a small ruler, right down to the paint :mrgreen:
I went with the 4" shield cut because that's what was on there...
I notice the feathers on there have no helical whatsoever, I'm planning on using right helical ('cuz that's what my Bitz is). Not sure if I'll shoot these or not, but want to restore them to 'shootable' condition, anyway. They are part of my heritage, therefore have a major "cool" factor to me!
I will probably leave the paint as-is. Restoring something like this is like getting an old derelict bow back into shooting condition...whether or not you actually shoot it!
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#32 Post by Captainkirk »

The green cresting reminds me of an old Johnson outboard...very '40s or '50s in my mind!

Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#33 Post by Captainkirk »

Captainkirk wrote:Update:
Just placed an order with 3Rivers for some solid orange Marco snap-on nocks, and 4" black and orange feathers. The feathers on these arrows peel right off, leaving a thin line of quill that is easily removed with a small ruler, right down to the paint :mrgreen:
I went with the 4" shield cut because that's what was on there...
I notice the feathers on there have no helical whatsoever, I'm planning on using right helical ('cuz that's what my Bitz is). Not sure if I'll shoot these or not, but want to restore them to 'shootable' condition, anyway. They are part of my heritage, therefore have a major "cool" factor to me!
I will probably leave the paint as-is. Restoring something like this is like getting an old derelict bow back into shooting condition...whether or not you actually shoot it!
The joke's on me!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock:
Dummy...as an afterthought I went down into my shop after placing my order today and suddenly the thought popped into my head that I had spined out these arrows, but it never occurred to me to measure them. :?
So...grab the old yardstick and...Ruh row.

OK; so far, so good...

Nothin' wrong here, unless you have a 29" draw length. Oh, wait... :shock:

But seriously, it's all good. I could use the practice, and I can ditch the tatty feathers and broken nocks for display purposes. And if one of my grandkids wants to shoot the "Baby Ben" it should work out fine! :mrgreen:
Aim small, miss small!

Longtrad

#34 Post by Longtrad »

They might still work with field points. You will just be drawing the point into the shelf, I have a bunch of arrows like this that work great for target shooting, not so beuno for broadhead use.

Just an idea.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#35 Post by Captainkirk »

Well, the best laid plans of mice and men...
My 3Rivers order arrived today. Everything was as expected; a half-dozen Bunny Busters, and more importantly, a dozen black 4" feathers, a dozen orange 4" feathers, and a dozen orange Marco Snap On nocks to repair my classic arrows.
But here's the thing: We've already discussed the fact that these arrows are too short for my DL. And there are two of them at present suitable for display as-is. Now, would you waste 2 dozen feather fletchings and nocks trying to make a half-dozen non-shooter display arrows, or...would you order up a dozen new shafts, paint them and fletch them to match the originals leaving them proper length for my draw length, and shoot the heck out of 'um? Common sense tells me to go with the latter and hang the good originals (2) on some sort of display for memory's sake.
What say you, men?

The new goodies:

Nocks

New fletching

Aim small, miss small!

Longtrad

#36 Post by Longtrad »

New shafts!

Longbowfanatic

#37 Post by Longbowfanatic »

Another vote for new shafts!

Shadowhntr

#38 Post by Shadowhntr »

New shafts
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#39 Post by Captainkirk »

Waiting to see what Nate says...he's an archery relics fan...
I'm really leaning toward new shafts.
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#40 Post by Captainkirk »

OK, peeps...I ordered a dozen 11/32 Larch (Tamarack) shafts...on sale at 3R...a dozen 125gr field points, and a dozen more black feathers. That should give me enough goodies to construct a dozen arrows. I wnt up to see if I could find bright orange Rustoleum...nothing doing. So I bought the Ace brand (which they told me was made by Rustoleum) and put a base coat of white down on a piece of test dowel rod. Once the white dries I will overcoat with the orange to see if they are compatible (I'm told a white base coat will make the colors really pop) I could find nothing anywhere near the aqua green color in Testor's enamel, but I'm not ready for it yet anyway. I will keep this updated as we go.
Why Larch, you ask?
a) They were on sale
b) Supposedly easy to work (tapering, etc)...cedar-like qualities
c) I never tried Larch before. I'm curious.
d) They were on sale
e) These are backyard/stumping arrows and will be painted rather than stained so grain doesn't matter
f) They were on sale
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Collecting & History”