a close doe encounter yesterday

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
jaydee2trad

a close doe encounter yesterday

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

It was about 30 minutes before dark and I stepped out the front door onto the porch. I was just checking out the temp and seeing how wet it was. I took a couple of steps to the right when I realized that there was a doe staring at me from less than 20 yards. It was actually straight out from the front door, at the very edge of the circle drive in the island between the drive and the county road. She didn't spook so the wind must have been perfect. I softly spoke to her and she just stared for a moment but then began browsing right there. So I stood there for 5 minutes watching her, she never moved more a foot or two as I spoke. I slowly walked back to the door to see if she would run but no, she stayed right there. I knew that my bow was hanging just inside the door about twenty feet away and that she would be a close shot but I had no desire to shoot her. So I watched her from inside for 15 more minutes before she finally fed off. Ten minutes later, she was back in front of the door for a few more bites before heading towards the garden. I know that it was a younger deer and probably still stupid but it was sheer awesome to simply be this close to a beautiful doe like this. Always loved watching them from a treestand.

Return to “Campfire”