Your favorite blades

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who also enjoy the fine craft of making Custom Knives and Hawks.
Forum rules
Topics include Knife and Hawk questions, advice and build alongs.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Your favorite blades

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

Show us your favorite blades and tell the stories behind them!

Here is my first-ever hunting knife...a Western fixed blade that I got for a Christmas gift back when Nixon was in the White House. Still holds a wicked edge and has been in the woods with me many a year as a constant companion.

This is my Bear/MCG skinner with guthook. Guthook works great, but I find the blade a tad too wide and long for field dressing....

Aim small, miss small!

Graps

Re: Your favorite blades

#2 Post by Graps »

My favorite blade I'd D-2 , ATS 34 makes a good blade as well . I like to heat treat them to 60-62 Rc .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Dan

#3 Post by Dan »

KaBar, browning, and the 2 on the right I made out of armor plated steel left over from bomb proofing humvees in afghanistan.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (107.64 KiB) Viewed 5348 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (107.64 KiB) Viewed 5348 times

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

Nice, Dan!
Aim small, miss small!

Gamestalker

#5 Post by Gamestalker »

Yesterday, I went to a county sherrif's office to see about getting a new pistol permit because mine had expired. I had to go thru a metal detector, so I had to put all metal objects on me into a basket first. The couple behind me started laughing while I kept reaching into different pockets pulling out additional knives & things. Then they pointed out to me that I didn't remove my belt knife. I had forgotten about that one. I really didn't even realize that I had so many knives on me until I pulled them all out!
Here's what I had:

The three on the left are my every day carry & the other two are for hunting. I keep another sheath knife in my fanny pack too. I was headed straight to the woods when I left the sherrif's office.

Here's my sheath knife:

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#6 Post by Carpdaddy »

Lol Gamestalker, bet they talked about that one for a while.

Longtrad

#7 Post by Longtrad »

Im a big fan of the good and cheap mora

http://i.imgur.com/LtHJN5dl.jpg

I also really like kershaw clip knives but I have a hell of a time keeping a clip knife from getting snagged on a tree and left behind.

Longtrad

#8 Post by Longtrad »

That's an awesome piece of history kirk! I wish I could keep track of my knives long enough to have memories like that. I guess thats part of the reason why I like those cheap moras. the big bevel makes it easier for dummies like me to sharpen them up too.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

Longtrad wrote:That's an awesome piece of history kirk! I wish I could keep track of my knives long enough to have memories like that. I guess thats part of the reason why I like those cheap moras. the big bevel makes it easier for dummies like to sharpen them up too.
Thanks! That was a Christmas gift from Dad back in the early '70s. Give a kid a knife for Christmas today and DCFS will probably bust down your door.... :?
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#10 Post by Captainkirk »

Any new blades...either commercial or home-made...joined the ranks lately?
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Knives and Hawks”