Bought a new bowhunting camera

Use this area to give and to receive advise involved in taking photos, and making videos of your next traditional bow hunt and how to present them to the rest of us.
Forum rules
Post photography or video questions and advice only.
Ron Kulas

Bought a new bowhunting camera

#1 Post by Ron Kulas »

I get about 3 years out of a pocket cam so it was time to upgrade. The requirements of my bowhunting cam is that its got to be small enough to come out of the pocket easily and it has to have great zoom. Ive been buying Cannon cameras so I stuck with that.

This time I bought the Cannon SX720 HS. Its very compact but has 40X zoom.

Here is a zoom test. I think this is enough reach for me. Im thinking of putting in a food plot to the east of that big crater.

Make sure to set the youtube quality to HD.

https://youtu.be/L2mP2RXSOV0
The Joy is in the doing.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Bought a new bowhunting camera

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

That is just unreal, I never dreamed that a camera could do that, wow!

Ron Kulas

#3 Post by Ron Kulas »

The Joy is in the doing.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#4 Post by Carpdaddy »

After watching yours I was so amazed that I watched several other of those. Guess I'm behind times, I had no idea cameras could do that. So you could be hunting a large field and zoom in on the trespasser that slipped onto the other end of your farm and video him picking his nose!

Ron Kulas

#5 Post by Ron Kulas »

Because Of my desire to film and having high zoom camera I don't need to carry binos.
The Joy is in the doing.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#6 Post by Carpdaddy »

How are you mounting it to your bow, stand, or whatever you mount to for filming yourself while hunting? It has to be a hugh extra challenge to focus a camera in on a moving target and shooting it at the same time.

Ron Kulas

#7 Post by Ron Kulas »

99% of the time, while I'm bowhunting the cam is in my jacket pocket (pocket cam) which is why I need a small camera. I will at times, use a homemade camera arm if I am on a water hole or decoying where I can reasonably expect that I will be filming a shot in a dedicated area.

My last cam was only 12 mega pixels with only 12X zoom. This new cam is 20 mega pixels and 40X so if I plan to use all 40 of those X's. I will need to brace on a solid object.
The Joy is in the doing.

Ole Dave

#8 Post by Ole Dave »

[quote="Stay Sharp" I will need to brace on a solid object.[/quote]

Going to watch for your posts on how steady it is...the reviews/ads say it has motion control built in (along with wifi, whatever or how ever you'd use that!)

For $400 it sure speaks to the "you get what you pay for..." belief.... sure looks better then anything I've ever owned. When I got a new computer I lost the software to upload pics from my old digi camera... somehow in the move, it never got relocated and I'm sure I kept the discs...but it's old enough I can't even find it on the camera company's website now...Doh...

Good luck... Keep us posted!
All we have and call our own, once belonged to someone else, and will again. Our purpose here is not to serve ourselves.

Bigfoot SAS LB (47# LB limbs 38# Semi Static RC limbs)

Couple of old Bear bows

Ron Kulas

#9 Post by Ron Kulas »

I paid $279 not $400.
The Joy is in the doing.

Shadowhntr

#10 Post by Shadowhntr »

Even at $400, Camera's, including Cannons, are often way higher priced then that. For what it is, its a great buy. Ive priced wildlife lenses alone for still shots that were mildly priced at $1200.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Return to “Photography and video”