Recycle hardwood?

For all the things we make ourselves for the outdoor world that are not covered in the other specific DIY area.
jd-xlt

Recycle hardwood?

#1 Post by jd-xlt »

My wife recently "tested" a used piano that was for sale in one of our local shops. The "technician/tuner" told her that in the last year they have taken over 90 pianos to the local landfill. My first thought was "What a waste of some excellent hardwoods." Has anyone here
ever tried or heard of using wood from a piano for risers, limb laminates or even arrows?
Just curious, we have an old spinet piano that's beyond repair.
"Though our outer nature is wasting away, our inner nature is being renewed day by day,"

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Recycle hardwood?

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

jd-xlt wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:32 pm My wife recently "tested" a used piano that was for sale in one of our local shops. The "technician/tuner" told her that in the last year they have taken over 90 pianos to the local landfill. My first thought was "What a waste of some excellent hardwoods." Has anyone here
ever tried or heard of using wood from a piano for risers, limb laminates or even arrows?
Just curious, we have an old spinet piano that's beyond repair.
Well, it would certainly be aged well, John.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Aim small, miss small!

dougedwards

#3 Post by dougedwards »

https://www.pianoemporium.com/wood-qual ... facturing/

Not much info here except for the listing of wood used for each section of the piano.

Doug
"Therefore, having put away falsehood, let each one of you speak the truth with his neighbor, for we are members one of another."
Ephesians 4:25

jd-xlt

#4 Post by jd-xlt »

Thanks guys. I didn't realize most piano woods were laminates. Don't know if I can salvage much useful wood, but it's gonna be fun taking it apart.
"Though our outer nature is wasting away, our inner nature is being renewed day by day,"

stumper

#5 Post by stumper »

Look forward to some pictures.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Return to “DIY section”