Just memories

Love to bow fish? This here's the place to talk about it and show your braggin' pictures!
jaydee2trad

Just memories

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

Can't go any more and have given all my bowfishing stuff to grandsons and son n law. But made a lot of awesome memories bowfishing. Mainly hunted rivers from the bank but later night fished with lights. we started out with about six marine batteries and bow mounted spotlights. Quickly went to 500 watt security lights and a generator. Totally loved how ten lights could light up the place. We saw everything and shot just about everything. Loved getting the big bullfrogs too. We lost a lot of arrows to sharp scales of shortnose gar but went to see some new line at the time, 200# Fast flight. Shot on the Arkansas River and Millwood Lake, had a blast. used a no name 50# recurve that I still have. Today, they use super bright LED lights which are so much better. Shot a lot of common carp and grass carp. Mainly longnose gar with a few shortnose. The gear and line got so much better and I loved it. But now too crippled to walk the banks or shoot from a boat. Now just watch videos or look at photos of others. Sure miss the excitement. JD

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Just memories

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

Sounds like a lot of good memories! Never got into bow fishing myself, had to many other bad habits or hobbies to enjoy, they kept me busy. But I do share the “can’t do it anymore”! Most of my Outdoor adventures are behind me due to health issues. I have been a little stronger lately and hope to be able to hunt some this upcoming season. But it’s now lower poundage bow, shorter distance hunts, shorter time, and no more “roughing it” adventures. Hope my grandchildren can enjoy my fortune of fishing, hunting, and outdoor equipment collected. :(

Nock

#3 Post by Nock »

I went couple afternoons ago. First trip of year. Blanked. River still little cool and murky. Shot once at a silver hit him but it pulled off. :(
Happiness is a tight chain!

jaydee2trad

#4 Post by jaydee2trad »

Carpdaddy wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:20 am Sounds like a lot of good memories! Never got into bow fishing myself, had to many other bad habits or hobbies to enjoy, they kept me busy. But I do share the “can’t do it anymore”! Most of my Outdoor adventures are behind me due to health issues. I have been a little stronger lately and hope to be able to hunt some this upcoming season. But it’s now lower poundage bow, shorter distance hunts, shorter time, and no more “roughing it” adventures. Hope my grandchildren can enjoy my fortune of fishing, hunting, and outdoor equipment collected. :(
The biggest thing is figuring out what you can still do and how you can do it. You can't dwell on what you can't do anymore but attack it from a new perspective. The hardest thing is realizing that you sometimes have to make major changes in all of it. but, just being able to still draw and shoot a bow albeit a lot lighter poundage one is ok. The good thing is that here we can drop down to 35# if need be. I like to think that I hunt smarter now( have to to be able to hunt closer to the truck). I am more prone to really making sure that my heads are as sharp as I can get them and most likey taking only super close shots. I really want to take a double lung shot for quick kills and want the broadhead to punch thru for double blood trails. So we can still make great memories, just maybe not be trophy hunters but thankful hunters for whatever we get blessed to harvest. JD

Return to “Bowfishing”